Forum feature requests

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Forum feature requests

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bmcdonnell_psi
    Participant

Are any of the following features already available in this support forum? If so, please let me know where I can find them. If not, please add them.

1. A page where I can find all of my threads that I started, and all of my comments I’ve posted. (Those two things should preferably be in separate sections on the page.)
    2. A way to elect to be notified by email of any replies to a thread. (i.e. Allow users to “subscribe” to threads.)
    3. Email notifications whenever someone posts on a thread I started. (Possibly always on, or by default.)
    4. A way to post images directly from my PC. (So I don’t have to go find an image host…)
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. You can actually view a list of your threads and comments by clicking on your username (or via this link). Regarding emails, we had it enabled previously, but unfortunately many mail servers treat such notifications as spam, so we started getting many “invalid email address” notifications and had to disable this.

We will consider adding support for attaching images, but currently it’s disabled to improve forum responsiveness.

bmcdonnell_psi
    Participant

You can actually view a list of your threads and comments by clicking on your username (or via this link).

Clicking my username from the upper right corner takes me to https://sysprogs.com/w/wp-admin/profile.php, not the page you linked to. Is something wrong on the website?

Regarding emails, we had it enabled previously, but unfortunately many mail servers treat such notifications as spam, so we started getting many “invalid email address” notifications and had to disable this.

Many other forums do this just fine. Surely there is a solution…?

Please realize the importance of this feature. The lack of notifications makes users have to remember to check back repeatedly for responses, which interrupts workflow, and increases time to issue resolution. Users may also forget, which will increase the number of unresolved issues. And if someone else posts on a thread after the user thinks his/her issue is resolved, the OP will never see the follow-up.

At absolute bare minimum, without emails, there should be notifications on the webpage when logged in, with links to the new stuff.

We will consider adding support for attaching images, but currently it’s disabled to improve forum responsiveness.

How does this affect forum responsiveness?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

You can click on your username in the left column of the original post to view the stats page.

We do realize the importance of the feature, however when it was enabled, it was used by less than 1% of users and was causing constant disruptions due to mail server issues. If you want to get instant notifications per email, please consider using the support form.

As we rely on an existing forum engine, we have to live with some limitations imposed by it, like lack of efficient mechanism of attaching images. We understand the inconvenience caused by it and we may eventually address it, but currently we are prioritizing work on VisualGDB features over this.

bmcdonnell_psi
    Participant

We do realize the importance of the feature, however when it was enabled, it was used by less than 1% of users and was causing constant disruptions due to mail server issues. If you want to get instant notifications per email, please consider using the support form.

How about if you make it opt-in? Also, you skipped right over my on-page notification idea.

All else being equal, I prefer the forum over private email, since other users can help and be helped.

As we rely on an existing forum engine, we have to live with some limitations imposed by it, like lack of efficient mechanism of attaching images. We understand the inconvenience caused by it and we may eventually address it, but currently we are prioritizing work on VisualGDB features over this.

Thanks for the info, and I agree with your prioritization on this.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

We had it available as an option and less than 1% of our users actually enabled it (still causing troubles due to spamfilters). Sorry.

Regarding the on-page notifications, you can get a brief overview of the recent replies by clicking on your username near the post and then selecting “topics” (e.g. https://sysprogs.com/w/forums/users/bmcdonnell_psi/topics/). Each topic will show the last post time.

We understand that this may not be the most usable way to display topics and updates, but due to priority constraints we have to rely on the existing forum engine without doing serious modifications to it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.