Failed to apply project settings

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Failed to apply project settings

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    gaminn
    Participant

Hi,

after a year I opened my Visual GDB project (embedded project for NRF51 MCU). Meanwhile I haven’t touched my VisualGDB installation.

The project doesn’t build and when I click project settings error displays:

Failed to apply project settins: Unknown MCU: com.sysprogs.arm.nordic.nrf5x. Please contact support.

In my appdata folder I can find NRF51 BSP: AppData\Local\VisualGDB\EmbeddedBSPs\arm-eabi\com.sysprogs.arm.nordic.nrf5x

What can I do with that? I don’t want to reinstall my VisualGDB as I would probably et different version of nrf5x BSP. Upgrading and then debugging my firmware for new version of BSP would be pain I guess.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Most likely you have created a project for the nRF51 chip (not nRF52) that was deprecated and removed from the modern Nordic SDKs. We handled this by forking nRF51 support (based on the latest SDK that supports it) into a separate BSP with a different ID.

Please try locating the nrf5x.xml file in your project directory and check the exact MCU ID it mentions. Then create a new project for the same MCU with the VisualGDB project wizard and check the BSP ID it puts in the new project’s nrf5x.xml file. Finally, copy the new ID to your old project and you should be able to build/debug it again (you may need to regenerate MCU-dependent files via VisualGDB Project Properties).

gaminn
    Participant

Hi,

thanks, the solution was almost as you write:

1. When creating new project, download nrf51 legacy BSP. I don’t understand how it is possible that my installation of VisualGDB removed support of nrf51 (I didn’t do it, when any update message from VisualGDB shows I cancel it). Please don’t do updates of VisualGDB which affects current projects of your users.
    2. Open nrf5x.xml file of new project. There is line <BspID>com.sysprogs.arm.nordic.nrf5x-legacy</BspID>. In my nrf51 projet, there is <BspID>com.sysprogs.arm.nordic.nrf5x</BspID>. So add “-legacy” to it.
    3. It works!
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience. As Nordic removed the support for nRF51 from their new SDKs, we had to start shipping 2 independent BSPs instead of just one, hence breaking backward compatibility. Normally we try to ensure the backward compatibility between our packages, but a lot of the BSP structure comes from the device vendor.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.