error: Board mega (platform avr, package arduino) is unknown

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB error: Board mega (platform avr, package arduino) is unknown

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    regus_pregus
    Participant

Just started Visual Studio with VisualGDB after not using it for a month. “Manage VisualGDB packages” automatic update dialog came up and offered me 3 updates, I just clicked OK without paying much attention to which components I am updating, but I am pretty sure Arduino AVR Boards was on the list. After update I can’t compile even a Blink LED project generated by the New Project wizard for the Arduino Mega 2560 board as a target, I am getting the following error message in tool output console:

error: Board mega (platform avr, package arduino) is unknown

Command line for this is:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Sysprogs\VisualGDB\Arduino\arduino-builder.exe -compile -logger=machine -fqbn=arduino:avr:mega:cpu=atmega2560 -build-path C:\Test\ArduinoProject1\Output\Arduino_Genuino_Mega_or_Mega_2560\Debug -unoptimize=sketch -hardware "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sysprogs\VisualGDB\Arduino/hardware" -hardware C:\Users\regus\Documents/ArduinoData/packages -tools "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sysprogs\VisualGDB\Arduino/tools-builder" -tools C:\Users\regus\Documents/ArduinoData/packages -libraries C:\Users\regus\Documents/Arduino/Libraries -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=C:\Users\regus\Documents\ArduinoData\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino5 -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude.path=C:\Users\regus\Documents\ArduinoData\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17 -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=C:\Users\regus\Documents\ArduinoData\packages\arduino\tools\arduinoOTA\1.3.0 sketches/ArduinoProject1.ino"

A month ago, before the update, everything was compiling fine.

Interestingly, I see two versions of Arduino AVR boards package installed in “Manage VisualGDB packages” dialog: 1.6.23 and 1.8.1

Apparently something has changed in the toolchain that -fqbn=arduino:avr:mega:cpu=atmega2560 option is no longer recognized, yet it is still generated by the New Project wizard.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by support. Reason: formatting
    support
    Keymaster

Thanks for confirming your support status.

We have investigated the problem and confirmed that having multiple versions of the same Arduino tools installed may break some Arduino platforms despite VisualGDB specifically referencing the correct versions of the tools.

We have updated VisualGDB to detect the incompatible package versions and suggest automatically cleaning them up. Please try this build: VisualGDB-5.5.1.3282.msi

Once you open any source file of the Arduino project that doesn’t load due to conflicting packages, VisualGDB will show a yellow bar on top of the editor suggesting a cleanup of the packages. Please proceed with the cleanup and you will be able to build the project again.

regus_pregus
    Participant

Cleanup doesn’t work. The dialog shows four items without text, making it impossible to select anything meaningfully. See picture attached.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    regus_pregus
    Participant

In addition, “Arduino AVR boards” packages are not shown anymore in Manage VisualGDB packages dialog after installing 5.5.1-3282. Neither Installed nor Online section shows any of them, making it impossible to even reinstall these packages from scratch.

regus_pregus
    Participant

By the way, Visual Studio version is 15.9.15

support
    Keymaster

Sorry about that. We have fixed the package cleanup GUI in the following build: VisualGDB-5.5.1.3285.msi

Unfortunately, we could not reproduce the problem with the AVR boards missing. Please check if it is resolved in the latest build. If not, please share a screenshot of the “Installed -> Arduino Platforms” view so that we could see what is going on.

regus_pregus
    Participant

After installing 5.5.1.3285 the cleanup tool now shows the items fine and compiling works again after cleanup.

AVR boards package is still missing, see attached screenshot Screen0.png.

Yet relevant Arduino boards show up in the New Arduino Project wizard, so the package is still installed, it just fails to show up on the list of installed packages. See attached screenshot Screen1.png

Interestingly, the “Arduino AVR boards” package is also missing from the “Online” section too, so I can’t reinstall it as well. See attached screenshot Screen2.png

Attachments:
    regus_pregus
    Participant

By the way, when “Show old packages” checkbox is checked on Screen2 in the previous post, you get a list of all previous Arduino AVR boards packages OK, but version 1.8.1 (the current one) does not show up. So it is something to do with the current version of that package. See Screen3.png attached for a screenshot.

Any ideas?

Attachments:
    support
    Keymaster

Strange. Please try installing an older version of the package, locate the directory where VisualGDB installs it (it will appear in the “installed” list) and remove the entire parent directory (that contains both package versions). Then delete the %LOCALAPPDATA%\VisualGDB\ArduinoPackageCache directory and reinstall the latest package. This should clear any incorrectly cached data and get the package to appear again.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.