Different output file name for Debug and Release

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Different output file name for Debug and Release

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jmkresse
    Participant

How do I specify a different output file name for the Debug configuration and the Release configuration in the VisualGDB Project Properties? (I want to be able to distinguish later by the file name which configuration was used to do the build.)

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This depends whether you are using MSBuild, GNU Make or CMake. For MSBuild you can achieve this via VS Project Properties, for other build systems you would need to manually edit the configuration files (e.g. Makefile) and explicitly specify the debugged executable via VisualGDB Project Properties as automatic detection won’t work anymore.

jmkresse
    Participant

Ok, thanks.

Yes, I’m using GNU Make; so as I suspected, I can either manually edit the Makefile, or manually rename the executables. (It would be nice to have this handled automatically in a future release, if possible. 🙂 )

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry, this is sort of a rare case, so we won’t be supporting this out-of-the-box. BTW, for new projects we recommend using MSBuild. It actually works very fast (when building both on Windows and Linux) and is much better integrated with VS (VisualGDB has 100% reliable access to all build settings and does not have to guess them).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.