Difference between Embedded Project and Makefile settings in project properties

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Difference between Embedded Project and Makefile settings in project properties

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    GPIB
    Participant

For a project converted to stand-alone there are multiple places to enter the same options and I am wondering what the effect of each one has.

Currently I need to add Include directories and a field for this appears in both the Embedded Project tab and the Makefile Settings tab in the VisualGDB Project Properties dialog.

What is the difference if I add to one vs the other?  Does it have any effect, are there pros and cons?  What is the best practice for this?

Others are Preprocessor macros vs defines?  It looks like the embedded project dialog contains stuff related to the current projects code and I should be setting code options (defines) and include directories here.  The Makefile Settings are for compiler/linker specific settings that are directly related to the build rather than the code?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The main difference is that the settings from the Embedded Project page are shared between all configurations (e.g. Debug/Release), while the settings on the Makefile Settings page are per-configuration.

For normal projects the common settings are automatically generated when you select an MCU from the list, however once you convert your project to a stand-alone one, VisualGDB replaces the MCU selection GUI with and editor the lets you modify the MCU flags directly.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.