compile single file option is disabled

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB compile single file option is disabled

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    pierrel5
    Participant

Hi,

How can I enable compile single c file ?

I use vs2008 and this option is disabled in menu and menu bar icon.

I use to work with compiling single file instead to use ‘build’ when I write some new code.

Another problem for me, each time I start ‘debug’, visual gdb seem to ‘re-link’ project even if it is up to date, and this take 3 to 5 second wait every time.

Is there a setting that allow to start debug immediatly ?.

Thank you for your help.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

It’s a known limitation and it happens because VisualGDB creates its projects as Makefile projects so Visual Studio can start an external build too when your select “Build All” or start debugging, but it does not have per-file control and cannot do a quick check whether rebuild is necessary. We do have long-term plans of resolving this, but it’s not clear yet whether we can fit it in the next release.

pierrel5
    Participant

Thank you for your answer.

Maybe it is possible just to launch gcc configured compile command (+ options) applyed to file name ?

(to verify if compile is ok, even if build redo the job)

support
    Keymaster

Hi,
    Yes, you can launch it manually by running “make Debug/<file>.o”. This will force GNU Make to build just one file. The reason why VisualGDB cannot do that conveniently via Ctrl-F7 is that VS does not offer a straight-forward way of doing that for Makefile projects.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.