Code Explorer Feedback

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Code Explorer Feedback

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    steve.n
    Participant

Hi,

Very glad to see the Code Explorer window. It works great so far. 👍

I’d like to suggest a “Sort” feature:

• Sort A-Z
    • Sort by Type (function, enum, globals, statics, etc.)
    • Sort A-Z, by Type

While it is often nice to see the outline of the code, it is also helpful to see all my functions in an alphabetical list. When I already know the name of the function, I find it quicker to scroll through an alphabetized list than to filter (multiple mouse clicks) or search (multiple key strokes) for it.

support
    Keymaster

Thanks for your feedback. Just to clarify, do you mean the list of all functions in the current source file, or in the entire solution?

steve.n
    Participant

I was thinking of it for the current source file – that would be my 95% use case.

I would imagine the project global list would become too big to scroll through easily, meaning I would go back to searching for it. I wouldn’t mind have the global list sortable too but I wouldn’t miss it.

support
    Keymaster

No problem. Please try this build: VisualGDB-5.6.5.4379.msi

The regular outline still shows the hierarchical structure of the source file, but you can now switch the detail view to show a plain list of all symbols, rather than local references or structure.

BTW, the Globals view in Code Explorer is extremely optimized. It can show a huge number of symbols, and allows quickly filtering them by names or types. It can also track things like references between types (e.g. all types that have fields of type X) or functions allocating/deleting types (i.e. recognizing patterns like (Type *)malloc(…)).  If you haven’t checked it out yet, it’s worth a try.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.