Can't add a file to sample project????

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Can't add a file to sample project????

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The build error happens because VisualGDB incorrectly used the $(ToolchainDir) syntax that is not supported by ESP-IDF projects. We have fixed it in the following build: VisualGDB-5.5.6.3657.msi.

That said, trying to use header discovery to reference missing ESP-IDF functionality will likely not work because ESP-IDF projects use their own system of components and configuration entries. You can find extensive documentation on ESP-IDF here: https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp-idf/en/latest/esp32/.

Please note that ESP-IDF is a huge and very complicated development framework and we advise taking time to go through various samples included with it to make sure you fully understand how it works. While VisualGDB can automate many routine tasks along that way, it will not replace the understanding of the underlying tools and technologies. If you would like to get personalized training with ESP-IDF or other frameworks, please feel free to contact our sales to get a quote.

KeithInAsia
    Participant

“Using header discovery to reference missing ESP-IDF functionality”???

What are you talking about?     When you expand out a project and need to use more of the IDF, you logically add your code and then reference IDF header file which imports those elements that you want to use.

This is kind of how it has been done for the past 30+ years?    Can you be more specific on what you mean by “own system of components and configuration entries”?    What specific action is the correct action for adding more functionality from including other .c and .h files?

Your recommended link https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp-idf/en/latest/esp32/ is just a general starting point.  I have been all through that documentation many times.  It carefully articulates the use of the Eclipse IDE (mostly) and doesn’t recommend your tools (that I am aware of).     If I only followed their one-way approach — I would not be your customer today.

If you have a more specific point to make — happy to hear it.

KeithInAsia
    Participant

Comments…

Your fix is working but it is not including the BT directories in the normal components build space.   This is the place where your test projects normally place idf code for project builds.

How do we keep things more standard and normalized in the standard project build space?   If we don’t pursue the correct wholesome solution — we’ll end up having problems down the line.

KeithInAsia
    Participant

I was mistaken above — the area that I’m talking about is a place where you locate CMake files… it kind of looks like the directory structure of a build — so it looked like build space.

KeithInAsia
    Participant

I was correct the first time… the idf source files are in directories at the top of the build tree view.   Shouldn’t our fundamental files be all included there?

KeithInAsia
    Participant

The build process is working nicely…. I see that you have fixed the bug that prevented the project from immediately reloading when deleting a source file.    Things look more stable.  Thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.