Can't add a file to sample project????

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Can't add a file to sample project????

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    KeithInAsia
    Participant

I just installed the tools.   I opened an example project that loaded, compiled, and ran.  (wifi_station).

NOW, I want to add a project file and start to expand the work and I’m not allowed to add a new file or an existing one.

An exception is thrown “Could not locate definition for __idf_main. Editing will not be possible”

How do I solve this problem?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    KeithInAsia
    Participant

This is an ESP32 install with just basic Serial Port monitoring.

I just started another project for the same target and I still have an inability to add file — same error.

KeithInAsia
    Participant

Forgot to mention — ESP-IDF 4.0 project.

KeithInAsia
    Participant

Another fact — I just installed both VS community edition and the GDB V5.4R12 (build 3242)

KeithInAsia
    Participant

I just upgraded the GDB to 5.5.1 — the new source files are being generated but won’t display in the IDE for some reason.

I’m getting an empty exception:

VisualGDB version: 5.5.1.3274
    —————— v42 ——————
    v42: The ‘idf_component_register’ property does not define a subproperty called ”
    at z4.c.a_4(d a, n8 c, String b)
    at tl2.w_2(s b, vb1[] c, qq1 d, VirtualSourceFolder a)
    at zw1`2.b_2(yd b, Object a)
    at jl2.m1.Exec(Guid& c, UInt32 b, UInt32 a, IntPtr e, IntPtr d)

support
    Keymaster

Thanks for reporting this, it looks like a bug introduced by a recent refactoring in our development branch. Please try this build: VisualGDB-5.5.1.3277.msi

KeithInAsia
    Participant

Build 3277 solved this issue.  Thanks.

KeithInAsia
    Participant

I think this problem has returned… and I did a search for it only to find that I commented about it 7 months ago.

I have a fresh Hell0-World sample app built.     It compiles.

I add to it BLE header files — and application complains about missing components in the IDF area (local files).

I confirm that I want to add those files to __idf_main.

This file activity fails and corrupts the CMake process.

I just installed build V5.5 3595

This problem has something to do with the fact that I change the project name (because we can’t use these sample project names of course in our real work!).   — but the system is expecting a directory with the project name.  That directory does exist.

KeithInAsia
    Participant

See attached screenshot for extra help.

Attachments:
    KeithInAsia
    Participant

In this case — am I supposed to click the green plus sign and add to __idf_main?

I loaded up a sample project for Wifi — ran it.

Then I loaded up a sample project for BLE — rant it.

I added the BLE header files to the Wifi STA project and then it fails.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by KeithInAsia.
    Attachments:
    KeithInAsia
    Participant

Here is the failure…

We must be able to increase the complexity of our project with all kinds of header files or the tool isn’t of much use….  right?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by KeithInAsia.
    Attachments:
    KeithInAsia
    Participant

I think the problem may be here with the make file.

When you add a new header file which calls for more of the idf — this last line gets appended to the CMakeLists.txt

This appended line doesn’t seem to work correctly.

When I remove this PRIV_INCLUDE_DIRS directive and remove the BT header file from my project — the project recompiles again.   No errors.

Attachments:
    KeithInAsia
    Participant

First — let me state that if I were an expert in toolchains and build scripting – I would not need your product.   So, I expect that your tool will handle adapting to very simple build changes which are normal and expected.

PROBLEM:

1. I build a simple example app like — Wifi Station
    2. I add a header file for BLE (so I may expand out an example to include all kinds of IDF features).
    3. Your tool prompts me to add items from IDF (I don’t have good guidance in this area — so I click the green “plus” sign with the default offering.  (SEE SINGLE PICTURE ATTACHED)
    4. CMake scripting fails to add the necessary items to my project — and my project is corrupted.

I WOULD NORMALLY ADD ALL THE PICTURES HERE BUT YOU RESTRICT FILES BASED ON SIZE AND SO I CAN NOT EASILY GIVE YOU THAT……  obviously you detect my protest here.

I’m trying to help you here because I’d like to see one tool get the basics right.    I don’t need fringe features — just the common normal stuff done correctly.

AGAIN, if I had time to learn CMake and Ninja — then I would just use the CLI versions of the tools and be done with it.

Do you have any documentation that is a step by step explanation on how to expand out example projects to add references to IDF elements?

Attachments:
    KeithInAsia
    Participant

Here is some of my build information….  (another single picture only).

I’m writing in C++ — I’m only using ESP Idf (I want to keep the project as simple as possible).

Attachments:
    KeithInAsia
    Participant

I have been working with your tools for many months — and I don’t change the build settings I’m fine.   I have no problems.

But I have explored all the basics and now I need to pull everything together — Wifi, BLE, OTA, MQTT, etc… and now that means I need a master project that has the full range of header files and libraries.

You don’t publish any larger example project with all the dependencies I need.

So, we must have the ability to incrementally increase our projects.

I know you’re not testing this or you would have certainly caught it.   I think this is the second time that I’m reporting this over the past year.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.