Cannot set Output directory with a system variable

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Cannot set Output directory with a system variable

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    Participant

Hello, I have set a project output directory like this
    $(RemoteMCSBIN)/$(Platform)/$(Configuration)
    and it expands to
    /home/mike/vgdbmcs/build/VisualGDB/Debug
    I get the following error message:
    1>VisualGDB: Run “make -f “VisualGDB/Debug/zzz.msbuild-mak” –no-print-directory” in directory “/home/mike/vgdbmcs/xxx/yyy/LinuxVGDB/zzz” on mike@192.168.230.129 (SSH)
    1>mkdir: cannot create directory ‘../../../../../../home’: Permission denied
    1>VisualGDB/Debug/zzz.msbuild-mak:100: recipe for target ‘UpdateRSP/../../../../../../home/mike/vgdbmcs/build/VisualGDB/Debug/zzz.link.rsp’ failed
    1>make[1]: *** [UpdateRSP/../../../../../../home/mike/vgdbmcs/build/VisualGDB/Debug/zzz.link.rsp] Error 1
    1>VisualGDB/Debug/DataModel.msbuild-mak:13: recipe for target ‘all’ failed

The additional include paths being set the same way work as expected.
    I was going to place the system variables into the property sheets and my project files may be on different levels of the file hierarchy so the relative paths from the project directory is not a solution. So the question is can I use system variables to point out output, intermediate etc. directories with VGDB?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This looks like VisualGDB gets an incorrect path for the intermediate directory. It’s hard to say what is going on based on this log alone, so we would advise the following steps for diagnosing this:

• Narrow the scope for just one project created from scratch. This will help track the issues down.
    • Try setting the project output directory to the path you want directly (via VS Project Properties). Does this break the build? If yes, please compare the .msbuild-mak files for working and non-working scenarios.
    • Try setting it via a property sheet file like you did before. If this breaks the build, again try comparing the .msbuild-mak files for the 2 scenarios and double-check all paths.
    • If it works for 1 project, try referencing the same property sheet from another project. If it breaks the build, please try comparing the 2 .vcxproj files to understand which of the settings causes the conflict.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.