Can not locate Pico Probe

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Can not locate Pico Probe

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    w4mmp
    Participant

Hello,

I am somewhat new to the Pico and really new to VisualGDB.  I have followed the tutorial for setting up and creating the blink application.   All went well accept for using the Pico probe as the debug device.   The pico probe works fine when attached to a RPi 4B.   I am able to both load firmware and debug an application using openocd and gdb.

However it does not work on Windows.  Below are screen shots of the device manager and output from Visual Studio.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ron

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

It looks like the drivers for the picoprobe are configured incorrectly. If you could post a screenshot of the Debug Settings page of VisualGDB Project Properties, and another one of the Help->About VisualGDB window, we will try to suggest a few things.

w4mmp
    Participant

Hello,

Thanks for getting back with me.

Attached are what I believe you asked for.   From my experience so far,  I do like this product.  I have been developing with VS for some years now and like the IDE.  Your add on appears to be just what I’m looking for when developing applications for the Pico.  If we can get a solution to this issue, you have a new customer.

Regards,

Ron

Attachments:
    w4mmp
    Participant

Hello,

I did a bit of digging around.  I installed the latest openocd from the official website.   Using the command I use on RPi 4B,  openocd runs find.  Please take a look at the attached file.  Notice that the option of  “-c “adapter speed 5000″” is appended to the openocd command.  This I found is necessary to make it work on the RPi 4B (found this solution on the Raspberry forum.

Regards,

Ron

Attachments:
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the screenshots. The adapter speed command should not be related to the “could not open device” error, however another setting is. According to your screenshot, you have selected the Debug Methods mode instead of USB Devices mode in the “Debug Using” field. This means that VisualGDB would expect you to install the probe drivers yourself.

If you switch back to the USB Devices mode, VisualGDB will let you pick a specific probe and will suggest installing the correct USB driver for it.

If it works now, you have likely installed the driver as a part of your troubleshooting steps, so both the regular OpenOCD and VisualGDB’s OpenOCD should work.

w4mmp
    Participant

Hello,

OK,  the below screen shots are of what I believe you want me to do.   However,  I really don’t know what to select from the list of drivers.

Regards,

Ron

Attachments:
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks, we have rechecked everything on our side. It looks like you are using the Picoprobe v2 firmware, that uses the CMSIS-DAP protocol. It requires selecting CMSIS-DAP instead of Picoprobe in OpenOCD settings.

We have released an updated OpenOCD package that will detect it automatically. Please feel free to install it via VisualGDB Package Manager, and your picoprobe will appear in the USB Devices list as expected.

w4mmp
    Participant

Hello,

Excellent!  Thank you so much!  Works like a charm.   Please know that “V2” is what Raspberry LTD.  is now providing as the default Pico Probe firmware.

Regards,

Ron

support
    Keymaster

No worries, the new OpenOCD package should automatically detect and handle both Picoprobe v1 and v2.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.