Call for feature requests

Sysprogs forums Forums WinCDEmu Call for feature requests

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    arsham
    Participant

@bazis wrote:

OK. The point about the “protection decoders” is that unless you are a company with a legal department ready to defend you in court, you don’t mess with them.
    So, keeping WinCDEmu free and open-source tool means no “protection hacking” tricks.

no hacking, just decoding, existing media image’s signature. it is considered that if you have the image you on your HDD => you have the media you’ve ripped it from and/or you are fully responsible for the information you have on your HDD(or whateve media).

support
    Keymaster

Well, no matter if you call it hacking or not, as soon as the disc producing companies find out about a new tool bypassing their protection, they would definitely try to sue the tool author. So, unless I have good lawyers on my side, I won’t risk it. And I don’t want to make WinCDEmu ‘yet another’ commercial emulator just to be able to afford those lawyers, as the primary goal of the project is to provide a free open-source tool for lawsuit-free scenarios.

Besides, if you don’t want to use the copy protection emulators, you can ask google about how to start your game without using them. However, please do not post any illegal instructions on this forum.

Anonymous
    Participant

* 3.5 portable;
    * on the portable Version drag and drop support for iso-images (drop an iso on program window mounts it)

Great pice of soft, thank you!

Leolo
    Participant

I very much prefer no-cd patches to emulation. Sometimes even the original game authors will release a No-CD patch free of charge (like the windows port of Halo 1, for example)

Anyway, whatever you do, Bazis, please DO NOT add rootkit-like behaviour to WinCDEmu. I stopped using Daemon Tools because of that!!

Anonymous
    Participant

A way to check for the current installed version.

I can’t seem to find it anywhere, version could be shown in WinCDEmu Setting or something like that.

support
    Keymaster

Try looing at file properties -> details of any EXE/DLL in WinCDEmu folder.

Anonymous
    Participant

Hi bazis,
    You have made a very good work with wincdemu.

I have a feature request for portable version. A simple command-line with no gui. It can be like this:

Mount.exe
    -Install driver if not exist
    -Mount the Image

UnMount.exe
    -Unmount the image (not the drive)

Uninstall.exe
    -Remove the drive letter
    -Remove driver
    -Cmd/Driverquery for update the driver list

You don’t need to create the file association, anyone can do “open with” if need. I don’t know the c++, i have made some scritp with autoit.

Best regards
    x_M

Anonymous
    Participant

How about mounting zip, rar, and 7z archives? All you would have to do is use the 7za.exe or 7za.dll for zip and 7z, and for rar I guess you could use unrar.exe (unpack to a temporary directory, or use the open command line call). If you could accomplish this, you would have replaced about 6 programs of mine with just one. I still keep WinMount around so I can mount 7z and zip archives. If you do that, I’ll even donate. Cause that would be freaking awesome. I am a C++ coder as well, so if you need help in that respect, I could help there too.

Anonymous
    Participant

Even if you could just mount zip and 7z archives. Think of the compression ratio difference between iso and 7z…The hard drive space you could save; as well as it being in a more open format. Rar isn’t as important to me, and is totally optional. I can see the licensing issues already, but zip and 7z are open source, free formats. :mrgreen: Those could at least help me get rid of WinMount! 😉

support
    Keymaster

The general problem with mounting compressed files is that you normally cannot peek a chunk of data from the middle of a file (or even the entire archive if it’s a solid archive) without decompressing the preceeding data.
    I.e. mounting a 4GB iso is instantaneous and does not consume any additional space, but mounting a 4 GB 7z archive would take ~10 minutes to decompress is completely.
    I am thinking of adding support for compressed ISO images, but I would need to modify one of the common compression algorithms to accomplish that. As for automatic decompressing of the archives into a temporary directory, you could write a simple script to do that (and clean up the directory after reboot), you don’t need any special tools for that.

Anonymous
    Participant

Hey i heard creating a driver to make a mountable “Burner” is alot of work, but how much work would this method i describe now be? (sorry it might not be explained clearly)

As i can see you can now Save a mounted iso to a Image, great.
    What if you “fake” your Driver to be burner, so when you move files onto it windows will “temporary” Save it on the disc (though obviously its not wrtting anything yet).
    So now you would try to Burn but it will fail, cause the “fake” doesnt really work to “Burn” with the internal thing.
    But what if we would now read the buffer for the files instead, so we can use our own Write Iso function instead.

Would this be way to complicated to implement? As this sort of function would make a tool like UltraISO obsolute for simple editing of your iso, as you can simply mount it, edit it, and Save it back as iso.

Anonymous
    Participant

I see your point. Usually I just use iso’s, but 7z and zip would’ve been cool. It sucks WinMount isn’t open source, otherwise we could see how they did it without decompression. I have decided to get rid of WinMount, I just realized mounting a 7z file isn’t really worth the trouble having some piece of commercial software around. Maybe you can implement zip/7z mounting later? 😀 😆 What WinMount appears to do is mount it just like an iso, because it never unpacks anything to any temporary directories (or directories period). I’ll bet that could be duplicated, they have an open source floppy mounting program, it uses a lot of the same code as cdrtools. Virtual Floppy Drive, if I remember correctly. I don’t know, it’s a want, not a need. Most people don’t even mount zip and 7z with WinMount anyway…

Anonymous
    Participant

Dear developer of WinCDEmu.
    I’ve been looking for an alternative of daemon for a long time.
    And I found this cool software finally, but I think it will be better if it has several options such as:
    * Configuration about windows intergration. Current version of WinCDEmu has no option for this, and every time I run it, image extentions(such as ISO, CUE…) are associated with WinCDEmu. I don’t want it because I prefer to view ISO files with UltraISO when I double-click them, not to mount them.
    * Remember user’s seletion. Why is there “for this time” after “disable autorun” option? I want it fixed so I don’t need to check it every time I run it.

I really appreciate for this good mounter, and I hope it will become even better . Thank you.

Anonymous
    Participant

I think as a compressed ISO format, .ISZ (the format used by UltraISO) would be the most preferable format, as it is already widely used (as widely as it goes for a compressed format) and there are multiple compression levels (zlib/bzip2) for people with different compression necessities. Also, it is encryptable. More information about this format is accessible at www .ezbsystems.com/isz/iszspec.txt

Anonymous
    Participant

command line for portable version

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.