autocomplete/intellisense problem * SOLVED*

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB autocomplete/intellisense problem * SOLVED*

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    allard
    Participant

Autocomplete doesn’t work in some cases. Here’s an example:

#include

using namespace std;
    struct DB_T{
    int key;
    int prop1;
    } DB[300];

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    {
    DB[1].prop1 = 5;
    return 0;
    }

Now this compiles perfectly. However when I type that DB[1]. then it doesnt show “prop1” in a dropdown box (it doesnt show any dropbox at all), it just does nothing. This is very irritating cause now I have to know all DB properties out of my head. If you do this on a native windows machine (so not using visualGDB), it does show that of course. Any ideas ?

BTW running visual GDB linux edition 4.1 and VS 2012 11.0.50727.1

allard
    Participant

Weird thing is, if I save it, close the project, reopen it then it suddenly works !?! What’s happening here ? If I then changed the name of the DB like into PDB en then type PDB[1]. it doesnt autocomplete again, then i have to save and restart it in order to work …

allard
    Participant

But it gets even weirder: in a program of mine, it does work from within a specific object/method and doesn’t autocomplete from within another object/method (the code compiles perfectly of course when I manually specify the attribute like DB[1].key, so that’s not the problem)

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

What VS version are you using? Are you building a MinGW or a Linux project? Does the Errors window contain any IntelliSense-specific errors?

allard
    Participant

@bazis wrote:

Hi,

What VS version are you using? Are you building a MinGW or a Linux project? Does the Errors window contain any IntelliSense-specific errors?

HI,

Like stated in my post, I use VS 2012 11.0.50727.1. I don’t see any intellisense errors at all. Thanks.

allard
    Participant

BTW, my project is a linux one

support
    Keymaster

VisualGDB reuses the Visual Studio IntelliSense engine (it configures it by providing GCC-specific definitions and include paths). Sometimes, the Visual Studio IntelliSense engine produces strange results. We are currently working on a new engine that will handle the GCC-specific code natively. As a temporary workaround before we have released it you can try commenting out arbitrary include directives to see which of them breaks IntelliSense.

allard
    Participant

@bazis wrote:

VisualGDB reuses the Visual Studio IntelliSense engine (it configures it by providing GCC-specific definitions and include paths). Sometimes, the Visual Studio IntelliSense engine produces strange results. We are currently working on a new engine that will handle the GCC-specific code natively. As a temporary workaround before we have released it you can try commenting out arbitrary include directives to see which of them breaks IntelliSense.

Ok good to hear you’re working on it. Otherwise I just LOVE this plugin, so really hoping you can get this working ! Good luck !

allard
    Participant

BTW, any timeline on your Intellisense replacement engine ?

Thanks

allard
    Participant

BTW, It’s most probably related: every time that I open my project and change for the first time something, I get a VS STudio error: “An exception has been encountered. This may be caused by an extension”. And then it refers to activitylog.xml. When I open that log it says:

System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast COM object of type ‘System.__ComObject’ to interface type ‘Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.IVsTextStreamEvents_Private’. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID ‘{96FC7D44-BCDD-4F00-AE4D-07E26B2C0E52}’ failed due to the following error: No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)). at System.StubHelpers.StubHelpers.GetCOMIPFromRCW(Object objSrc, IntPtr pCPCMD, IntPtr& ppTarget, Boolean& pfNeedsRelease) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.IVsTextStreamEvents_Private.OnChangeStreamText(Int32 iPos, Int32 iOldLen, Int32 iNewLen, Int32 fLast) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.VsTextBufferAdapter.OnTextBufferChanged(Object sender, TextContentChangedEventArgs e) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.GuardedOperations.RaiseEvent[TArgs](Object sender, EventHandler`1 eventHandlers, TArgs args)

allard
    Participant

It seems I solved it !!!
    Solution:

Using regedit look at the following key:

On 32-Bit Windows: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTCLSID{73B7DC00-F498-4ABD-AB79-D07AFD52F395}InProcServer32]
    On 64-Bit Windows: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTWow6432NodeCLSID{73B7DC00-F498-4ABD-AB79-D07AFD52F395}InProcServer32]

The “(Default)” value should be one of the following:
    On 32-Bit Windows: “C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedMSEnvTextMgrP.dll”
    On 64-Bit Windows: “C:Program Files (x86)Common FilesMicrosoft SharedMSEnvTextMgrP.dll”

No more VS exception messages, and autocomplete now seems to work fine !! Found this solution at: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/546369/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.