New project — FreeRTOS tasks plugin

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB New project — FreeRTOS tasks plugin

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    swineone
    Participant

Hello,

We’re pleased to introduce a new project that may be useful to other VisualGDB users: a plugin to debug FreeRTOS threads, using the VisualGDB thread system detailed here. The plugin is hosted at GitHub.

For now it only supports ARM Cortex (M0, M3 and M4) processors, because we are an ARM-only shop and that’s what we have access to. Also, it’s only been tested on the newest release of FreeRTOS (8.2.0), and I anticipate some changes may be required for older versions (pre-8.0) because of some type name changes in FreeRTOS.

We invite contributions from users of older FreeRTOS versions and non-ARM microcontrollers. Please report any bugs you find on this thread so I can fix them.

Also, since we have zero experience with C#, some of the code may not be kosher. We also welcome contributions from more experienced C# developers to clean up the code.

Certain features such as priorities and running state are not reported due to lack of support by either VisualGDB or Visual Studio. I will detail these in a future post, in hopes the VisualGDB developers can add a few features to it so these can be supported.

Thanks

support
    Keymaster

The plugin looks great! Thanks a lot.

Euan
    Participant

Is it still possible to use this plugin, with V5.2?  I don’t see any option for external dlls as shown in the embedded threads tutorial.  Is it limited to specific verisons of VisualGDB?  (I have the linux edition)

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Yes, the embedded RTOS plugins require the Custom edition or higher. Starting with v5.2 the plugin is shipped with VisualGDB and can recognize FreeRTOS-based projects automatically from looking at the symbols, so as long as you are using the correct edition, no manual configuration is needed anymore.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.