Writing/debugging Python code

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Writing/debugging Python code

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BitFlipper
    Participant

Hi,

I was trying to use VGDB to debug a Python script running on Linux but got an error that it was not able to compile a C file on the host. However this Linux host is not set up to compile anything, and will not have the ability to do so due to limited disk space etc to set up compilers etc.

Why does it require the C file to be compiled? Is there a way to work around this issue?

Related: So right now I have 3 options to do remote Python debugging. I’m using VGDB to successfully debug C++ code so even if I use a non-VGDB solution to do remote Python debugging, it is not as if I will stop using VGDB, but I’m looking for honest answers in this case 🙂

1. Use VGDB. Although I have the issue with not being able to compile the required C file.
    2. Use Python Tools for Visual Studio. Apparently in VS 2017, this will no longer be a separate plugin, but built right into VS. So VS support for Python (including remote debugging) is improving. I’m still using VS 2015 so will need to use the plugin for now.
    3. Use PyCharm Pro (which supports remote debugging).

Can someone that has more experience with these different options suggest the best solution, given that I have not started down any of these 3 paths yet?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

BitFlipper
    Participant

I have to add the following complication: The Python code that I need to write/debug is started indirectly by a Ruby script. This Ruby script first sets up a complex environment before running the Python script, so it would be difficult to run the Python scrip by itself. I don’t know which one of the 3 options I listed above would have the least problems with this requirement.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

VisualGDB Python support is mostly targeting the cases when you want to debug Python <=> C/C++ integration issues. If you are debugging Python-only code, other products (not dependent on GDB) would simply provide faster and smoother experience. You can still use VisualGDB for python-only debugging, but this is not our primary use case and VisualGDB is not optimized to handle it in the best possible way (that would require a completely different debugging technology not related to VisualGDB).

Hence if you are looking for Python-only debugging, we would advise checking Python-specific products and IDEs.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.