Will VirtualKD work on non-Windows Host ?

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualDDK/VirtualKD discussion Will VirtualKD work on non-Windows Host ?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    zthink
    Participant

I’m using VirtualBox on Linux host and trying to setup a windows kernel debug environment. I have not used VirtualKD as I think it will not be useful on a Linux Host. Am I right ? If it will work, I would like to try it.

My attempts and results so far are :

1. Set up COM1 on VM guest to map to “Host Pipe”. This gives me a UDS (Unix Domain Socket) on the Linux host.

2. I can see the first message announced by Windows NT kernel to the COM1 port… it comes out to the UDS socket.

3. I managed to bridge the UDS socket to a TCP/IP port (8765) using the very versatile ‘socat’ on Linux.

4. At this point, I am able to connect KD.exe from a development workstation to this (address,port) pair by specificying arguments:

KD.exe -remote tcp:server=vmhost,port=8765 -b ...

5. Though I have provided ‘-b’ KD.exe does not ‘break into’ the debugger. Why is that ?

6. I am not able to generate SYSREQ keypress on the windows guest OS being debugged… How can I do that from a Linux Host ? SysReq key causes Printscreen to be invoked by my Linux desktop….. How can I deliver the SysReq to the guest OS ?

Thanks for any tips !

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.