Which Version? Embedded ?

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Which Version? Embedded ?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    w4mmp
    Participant

Hello,

I am developing firmware for the Raspberry Pico.   I may be going out on a limb, but I assume the Embedded version all I need(???).  We are a very small company and need to keep costs down.

BTW:  Your support has been excellent so far.  (I had an issue with using the Pico Probe.  It was fixed in just little more than a day).

Thanks,

Ron

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

If you are just looking for the basic functionality, the Embedded version should be sufficient. If you later decide that some of the Custom features could be worthwhile, you can always upgrade your license to Custom.

As for support, we are happy to help as long as it’s within the support scope. The rule of thumb is that you should be able to get the same project working/debugging on the same hardware outside VisualGDB on your own. If this is the case, we can help you get it to work with VisualGDB as well. In this case, the command-line OpenOCD from Raspberry Pi was clearly working, and the one supplied with VisualGDB wasn’t, so it was 100% within the scope.

What usually causes frustration with support is when users come up with a rather complicated setup (custom board, tricky clock settings, sleep logic) and it starts triggering OpenOCD bugs, or otherwise interfering with debugging. Some users expect that we would go through the schematic and the datasheet with them, and help them find the exact hardware setting that would fix everything, and get upset when we ask them to first get it working with command-line gdb. Another common source of frustration is when users try to change many settings at once, get a cryptic error message coming from somewhere within the external SDK, and expect us to know how to fix it without knowing what exactly they have changed. As long as you can avoid these pitfalls, you will find our support reasonable and fast.

w4mmp
    Participant

Hello,

Thanks for getting back with me.  I fully understand your position on support.  Your responsibility is to support the IDE not a customers application.  I would not ask for assistance with application design, functionality or debugging.  For those issues, I will go to the Raspberry LTD forum for assistance.  In other words, I’m not looking for someone to hold my hand.  But I do expect support for the IDE when it solidly appears the IDE is at fault.

Regards,

Ron

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

No worries, just wanted to make there is no misunderstanding. Enjoy VisualGDB!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.