Where did my call stack go?

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Where did my call stack go?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  support 2 days, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

davidoz
    Participant

Hi All and Support,

I’m using VS2019 and I’ve noticed something strange (and annoying) with the call stack.  So when I hit a breakpoint and I double click a function name in the call stack, sometimes the list of functions in the call stack window disappears (not the window, just the list).  It doesn’t happen every time, but will happen within a few double clicks.  I have to single step to get the call stack to repopulate, but by then it might be too late.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or is peculiar to my setup?

Cheers

David

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This looks like a bug in Visual Studio itself. Based on the latest feedback we got from Microsoft, it was triggered by an unexpected combination of flags returned by our debug engine, however from a quick test on VS 16.8.2, it appears to be resolved on the VS side.

Please try updating your Visual Studio to the latest version. If the problem persists, we will try updating VisualGDB to emulate the fields VS would normally expect.

davidoz
    Participant

Hi Support,

Thanks for your reply.  I’m on VS 16.8.3 and I have upgraded VisualGDB to 5.5R4.  Unfortunately, the issue is still occurring.  Please let me know if you want me to do anything.

Cheers

David

support
    Keymaster

Thanks, we have retested it and indeed the problem is still there (it just doesn’t trigger when VS itself is being debugged). We have posted an update on the Visual Studio bug report and will await a reply from Microsoft. Feel free to post a comment there if the problem affects you as well.

davidoz
    Participant

Hi Support,

looks like Microsoft closed your report a while ago, but no resolution.  I know it’s not a show stopper, but it is really annoying.  Is there any chance you could get Microsoft to re-open the issue?

Cheers

David

support
    Keymaster

We have provided them with an updated build that follows their instructions and still reproduces the problem on December 17th and have not heard from them since then. Please consider contacting Microsoft support directly, or posting on the bug tracking page to speed it up. We have done everything we could on this one (short from designing our own replacement Call Stack window) and the delay is on their side.

As a side note, a 100% working (although annoying) workaround would be to delete the watch expression that triggers the error, and switch back and forth between the threads via Debug->Windows->Threads. This makes the call stack reappear.

davidoz
    Participant

Yes, I can see your update.  I’ll add a comment that the issue hasn’t been resolved yet. That might get their attention.  It sounds like the fault is on the Microsoft side, so does that mean the call stack works with the latest VisualGDB (v5.5R4) but an older Visual Studio (say VS2015)?

The workaround I’ve been using is when the call stack disappears, I single step one assembler instruction and then it repopulates the call stack window.

Cheers

David

support
    Keymaster

OK, we got some additional input from Microsoft and managed to add a workaround for this to the following build: VisualGDB-5.5.104.3941.msi

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.