What is the official/recommended method for installing the latest EPS toolchain

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB What is the official/recommended method for installing the latest EPS toolchain

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jmiramonti
    Participant

HI,

I’ve been using VisualGDB for about 18 months with the ESP32-C3.

I’m now starting to work with the ESP32-C6, but still support some previously released code.

This requires me to pivot back and forth between the Espressif 5.0, 5.1 and 5.2 SDK and toolchains (different GCC compiler versions).

I’m trying to implement the “Side by Side” toolchain configuration for the Espressif EPS32-C3 toolchains.

Switching between SDKs is straightforward (you either let it ‘step on’ the existing SDK and wait awhile or you install them indifferent subdirectories to save time).

However switching between toolchains doesn’t seem to match the published documentation, nor does the ‘search for gdb.exe’ seem to work properly.

The only thing that does seem to work is manually copying certain files from an Espressif download and manually editing toolchain.xml.

Is there a better, more official/recommended way of doing this? (E.g. install the latest Espressif toolchain into VGDB?)

jmiramonti
    Participant

HI,

I’ve been using VisualGDB for about 18 months with the ESP32-C3.

I’m now starting to work with the ESP32-C6, but still support some previously released code.

This requires me to pivot back and forth between the Espressif 5.0, 5.1 and 5.2 SDK and toolchains (different GCC compiler versions).

I’m trying to implement the “Side by Side” toolchain configuration for the Espressif EPS32-C3 toolchains.

Switching between SDKs is straightforward (you either let it ‘step on’ the existing SDK and wait awhile or you install them indifferent subdirectories to save time).

However switching between toolchains doesn’t seem to match the published documentation, nor does the ‘search for gdb.exe’ seem to work properly.

The only thing that does seem to work is manually copying certain files from an Espressif download and manually editing toolchain.xml.

Is there a better, more official/recommended way of doing this? (E.g. install the latest Espressif toolchain into VGDB?)

(I plan to also enter this as a separate Post, I hope that is OK?)

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

You can manually install the toolchains to different directories, select “import by locating gdb” and point VisualGDB to the toolchain.xml files instead of gdb.exe (ESP32 has a very special toolchain layout, so the usual detection logic indeed won’t work).

This has been fixed in VisualGDB 6.0 – the “import” link now mentions toolchain.xml explicitly.

gojimmypi
    Participant

In my C:\SysGCC I have manually installed C:\SysGCC\esp32-11.2 and C:\SysGCC\esp32-8.4 for the older toolchains, in addition to the default install of C:\SysGCC\esp32 which has version 12.1 of the toolchain.

Inside each of *those* directories, I have different versions of the ESP-IDF SDK, for instance:

In my C:\SysGCC\esp32\esp-idf, I performed “git clone [repo] [sdk name]” for these:

esp-idf-v5.2-beta1
    master
    v5.0
    v5.1

That allows relatively each changing of SDK and toolchains. Be sure to delete the build directory and sdkconfig file when changing.

I’ve found that simply keeping different versions of the project file much easier than manually changing them to different SDK & toolchain versions, for example:

https://github.com/gojimmypi/wolfssl/tree/ED25519_SHA2_fix/IDE/Espressif/ESP-IDF/examples/template/VisualGDB

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by gojimmypi.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.