VS2022 Preview 2 Issues

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB VS2022 Preview 2 Issues

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    grindstaffp
    Participant

Hello,

When creating a project with the Embedded Project wizard, an error occurs upon clicking finish:

VisualGDB version: 5.6.5.4230
    —————— System.ArgumentException ——————
    System.ArgumentException: Invalid ruleset name: ConfigurationGeneral
    at i9.SetCustomPropertyValue(String b, String c, String a)
    at h43.f(sa1 g, IProjectEditContext c, n e, pn a, y b, Boolean f, j[] d)
    at f02.o(EmbeddedWizardState a, IProjectEditContext b, fo1 c, sa1 e, String d, pn f)
    at f02.DoRunWizardOrThrowException(pn c, String a, String b)
    at mg2`1.Execute(Object a, IntPtr e, Object[]& b, Object[]& d, wizardResult& c)
    trace=[i9.SetCustomPropertyValue:41, h43.f:404, f02.o:1102, f02.DoRunWizardOrThrowException:2147, mg2`1.Execute:210]

After closing the error message, the project has been created but it cannot be built, giving the following error message:

Error MSB4019 The imported project “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Preview\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Microsoft.cpp.targets” was not found. Confirm that the expression in the Import declaration “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Preview\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\\Microsoft.cpp.targets” is correct, and that the file exists on disk. EmbeddedProject4 C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Preview\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v170\Microsoft.Cpp.ToolsetLocation.targets 21

Additionally, when opening the VisualGDB Project Properties window and navigating to MSBuild Settings, another error messages is displayed.

System.ArgumentException: Invalid ruleset name: ConfigurationGeneral
    at i9.GetCustomPropertyValue(String c, String a, Boolean b)
    at VisualGDB.Common_GUI.WPF.Property_pages.MSBuildSettingsPage.ControllerImpl.UpdateRepairText(IVCConfiguration cfg)
    at VisualGDB.Common_GUI.WPF.Property_pages.MSBuildSettingsPage.ControllerImpl.TryUpdateProjectContext(z73 newProjectContext, fc2 ctx2)
    at VisualGDB.Common_GUI.WPF.Property_pages.MSBuildSettingsPage.ControllerImpl.Stub.CreatePropertyPage(z73 newProjectContext, fc2 ctx2)
    at VisualGDB.Common_GUI.Configuration_editors.ProjectPropertiesEditModel.x.CreatePageIfMissing(z73 a, x23 d, ProjectPropertiesEditModel c, fc2 b)
    at VisualGDB.Common_GUI.Configuration_editors.ProjectPropertiesEditModel.w1(IOnDemandPropertyPage a)

I have investigated the second error above with little success. I assume I may have missed installing a necessary component with VS2022, but when compared to my 2019 installation, I have selected the same components to be installed. Could having both VS2019 and 2022 installed be creating a conflict?

Any insight you can offer is appreciated.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

VS2022 Preview 2 indeed changed the MSBuild platforms location from:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Preview\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Platforms

to

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Preview\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v170\Platforms

You can fix the issue either by manually moving the VisualGDB platform from the old location to the new one, or by installing the following build: VisualGDB-5.6.5.4247.msi

grindstaffp
    Participant

Thank you, this resolved the issue

peini7
    Participant

It seems that this still exists in the latest version.
    I’am using the final RTM version of VS2022 and the latest VisualGDB version 5.6r2 but i also needed to copy the files from v16 to v17.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Strange. Could you please share a screenshot of the Help->About VisualGDB window so that we could see what is going on?

peini7
    Participant

Here are the two screens. Sorry for the error message beeing in german.
    Copying over the VisualGDB folder from v160 to v170 helps and everything is working fine.
    It looks like the installer is copying it to the wrong directory.

I had VS2019 installed on this machine earlier, but when i’ve installed VisualGDB only VS2022 was installed.
    Also the installer has detected VS2022 correctly.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Thanks for the screenshot. This VisualGDB build uses the new installation logic that first checks the v170 folder, and if it’s absent – falls back to the v160 folder. Perhaps when you installed VisualGDB, your Visual Studio had the v160 as a leftover from the VS Preview, and the v170 was completely missing (e.g. VC++ workload was not installed)?

Either way, you can try uninstalling VisualGDB completely and installing it again. If the v170 folder is present, VisualGDB should recognize it.

peini7
    Participant

Ah… thank you. That is the missing piece in the puzzle..
    I’ve installed VC++ “after” installing VisaulGDB.

Maybe the installer can check the required workloads too, but this is just a suggestion.

I really love what you’re providing with VisualGDB. Keep on the great work 🙂
    I think i will buy it after the evaluation phase…

support
    Keymaster

Good to know it works. Also thanks for the suggestion, we will consider adding more checks to the installer in the next VisualGDB releases.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.