VisualGDB Support for Kendryte K210

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB VisualGDB Support for Kendryte K210

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    MyAmigo
    Participant

With respect to the related announcement on the Kendryte forum  and the tutorial that had been posted here.

This is great!

I followed the instructions to build the gpio_led demo and it worked perfectly. I have not used Visual Studio prior to this so this is new to me. I followed the Kendryte tutorials for building a project which calls for having projects created under<span style=”color: #3366ff;”> .\Kendryte-Standalone-SDK\src</span> so the project source files are located within the SDK source tree.

My understanding is that the normal/easy way of creating an embedded project with Visual Studio/GDB is to place the project source files in one location and reference the SDK dependencies in another location (done automagically by VS) so the Kendryte recommendation for setting up the project is at odds with the standard VS method. The tutorial follows the VS approach.

I created a project structure that I want to preserve as it will allows me to track changes to the orginal Kendryte SDK while making changes to it that are necessary for my project. To do this I copied the entire Kendryte-Standalone-SDK tree to a new location and renamed it to PROJECT_MCU and I have my project files (and some of the Kendryte demos) under src as recommended by Kendryte.   Structured as shown >>> here <<<.

I figured out how to import an existing project into VS by following the tutorial >>> here <<< and the project builds fine with the output binary showing up where it should.   When first run VS/GDB did not find the SDK source & header files but I was able to figure out how to include the folders to them so I got by that problem.  However, I can’t get by the following error even though it seems like an easy one to fix… ‘No executable file specified. Use the “file” or “exec-file” command.’

I did specify the built binary as my output file and I tried changing settings under menu ‘Debug/{project} properties’. I also went through all of the options under menu ‘Project/VisualGDB Project Properties’ but nothing stood out. I really don’t know what could be wrong.

Can someone provide a suggestion for resolving this?

Thank you !

• This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by MyAmigo.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by MyAmigo.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

No problem, we will help you understand how VisualGDB handles the K210 build and how to get the setup you described.

When you create a VisualGDB project for the K210 device, it automatically downloads a copy of the K210 SDK into %LOCALAPPDATA%\VisualGDB and references it from the project. The SDK copy contains an XML list of the sources and build settings required for K210 projects, so VisualGDB can automatically generate a VS project that would replicate the build result from the original K210 SDK.

Based on your description, you have likely imported another copy of the SDK as a generic project (importing the list of source files, but not the build settings that were captured from the original K210 SDK) and hence the build produces an invalid binary.

If you would like to have a separate copy of the K210 SDK and be able to modify it yourself, please instead try creating a regular VisualGDB project and then converting it to a stand-alone one as shown in this tutorial. This will copy the SDK files into the BSP subdirectory in your project folder and will also copy all the necessary build settings, so that the build result will be equal to the regular project. while letting you tweak that specific copy of the SDK according to your needs.

If you encounter any further issues, please feel free to let us know. The K210 support is very new and all feedback will be highly appreciated.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.