VisualKernel 3.1 Examples do not work with Ubuntu 18.04

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualKernel VisualKernel 3.1 Examples do not work with Ubuntu 18.04

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    xsyourpal
    Participant

Trying to follow the VisualKernel Tutorials “Hello World” with VisualKernel 3.1.  The “Download and install kernel symbols” setup of the project keeps looping and is unsuccessful in downloading the symbols and kernel source to allow source debugging.

The Linux Machine is a VMWare workstation instance of Ubuntu 18.04.2 desktop and Visual Kernel 3.1 is running on Visual Studio 2017. The tutorials seem bit outdated since screens do not match however they are close enough for me to follow along.  The Kernel on the VM is (uname -r ==>   4.18.0-25-generic) and (uname -v ==> #26~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 27 07:28:31 UTC 2019)

The problem it seems is that VisualKernel is issuing deprecated commands for downloading the debug Symbols and Source.  The ddebs file created in the /etc/apt/sources.list.d seems incorrect.  (The bionic-security line in ddebs does not seem to work and download fails).  This is possibly causing the setup to go into an infinite loop.

If I cancel or do not select the Download and Install Kernel Symbols then source debugging is not working, even though I have manually installed the kernel source and debug symbols for the kernel.  VisualKernel does not seem to find or recognize that the source and symbols are there.   The manual commands that work on Ubuntu 18.04.2 are:: (Not the same as ones issued by VisualKernel)

sudo apt install linux-source-4.18.0

sudo apt install linux-image-4.18.0-25-generic-dbgsym

I am a student and this is my first time using these tools.  Please help fix this so I can follow the tutorials on your website.

Thank You

xsyourpal
    Participant

Sorry About Repeating the post… now  attached the terminal session transcript of the failure.

Trying to follow the VisualKernel Tutorials “Hello World” with VisualKernel 3.1. The “Download and install kernel symbols” setup of the project keeps looping and is unsuccessful in downloading the symbols and kernel source to allow source debugging.

The Linux Machine is a VMWare workstation instance of Ubuntu 18.04.2 desktop and Visual Kernel 3.1 is running on Visual Studio 2017. The tutorials seem bit outdated since screens do not match however they are close enough for me to follow along. The Kernel on the VM is (uname -r ==> 4.18.0-25-generic) and (uname -v ==> #26~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 27 07:28:31 UTC 2019)

The problem it seems is that VisualKernel is issuing deprecated commands for downloading the debug Symbols and Source. The ddebs file created in the /etc/apt/sources.list.d seems incorrect. (The bionic-security line in ddebs does not seem to work and download fails). This is possibly causing the setup to go into an infinite loop.

If I cancel or do not select the Download and Install Kernel Symbols then source debugging is not working, even though I have manually installed the kernel source and debug symbols for the kernel. VisualKernel does not seem to find or recognize that the source and symbols are there. The manual commands that work on Ubuntu 18.04.2 are:: (Not the same as ones issued by VisualKernel)

sudo apt install linux-source-4.18.0

sudo apt install linux-image-4.18.0-25-generic-dbgsym

I am a student and this is my first time using these tools. Please help fix this so I can follow the tutorials on your website.

Thank You

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

No problem. We have managed to reproduce the problem. It was not caused by using the older apt-get syntax (it is still fully supported and VisualKernel keeps it for backward compatibility with older distros), but was instead caused by a change in the versioning tag format of the kernel symbols for recent Ubuntu builds (the symbol file version is 25.26~18.04.1 instead of just 25.26). We have updated the version matching rules in the following build: VisualKernel-3.1.0.2230.msi

xsyourpal
    Participant

The issue is not fixed.  VisualKernel Script to install debug symbols is incorrect and it goes into an infinite loop when it fails to install the symbols. It does not even detect if debug symbols are installed on the remote linux machine.

I have installed Visual Kernel 3.1R2 (build 2220)  My Linux machine is
    <div dir=”ltr”>The linux machine is Ubuntu 18.04 and I am on Windows 10 with Visual Studio 2017</div>
    <div dir=”ltr”></div>
    <div dir=”ltr”>
    <div>
    <div>DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu</div>
    <div>DISTRIB_RELEASE=18.04</div>
    <div>DISTRIB_CODENAME=bionic</div>
    <div>DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION=”Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS”</div>
    <div dir=”ltr”>5.3.0-40-generic</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div dir=”ltr”></div>
    <div dir=”ltr”>It would be most useful is Sysprogs support can update the tutorials and guides to work on the somewhat recent kernels and distribution.</div>

support
    Keymaster

Please note that VisualKernel can only install a symbol package if it has been released by your Linux distribution (e.g. Ubuntu). The released symbol package must exactly match the running kernel, have the same version, build number, etc. Trying to use a mismatching symbol package (e.g. having the same kernel version, but a different build number) will not work, since it will not match the running kernel.

If you are not sure what is going on, please try installing the latest Ubuntu 19.10 from scratch and make sure you use the stock kernel (i.e. don’t install any unofficial kernels). This Ubuntu version is fully supported by VisualKernel 3.1 and should work out-of-the-box.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.