VisualGDB trial not setting up ESP32 environment correctly?

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB VisualGDB trial not setting up ESP32 environment correctly?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    AlexRed
    Participant

Hello,

I set up a VIsualGDB trial to be used on a Win10Pro machine to use it under VS2022 for esp32 development, following this page :

https://visualgdb.com/tutorials/esp32/esp32-c6/

I setup all as instructed, VisualGDB installed by it’s own the latest Esp32 IDF, python 3, and I already checked all paths both for VisualGDB ( under VS 2022 ) and for Windows itself to be correct…

The system appears to find all, but when trying to create a new project for the ESP32-C6, I got this error :

Run "C:\Users\Alex\AppData\Local\VisualGDB\Python3\python.exe E:\Esp32\esp-idf/v5.1\tools\idf_tools.py install-python-env" in directory "" on local computer
    --------------------------
    WARNING: Is it not possible to determine the IDF version: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'E:\\esp32\\esp-idf\\components\\esp_common\\include\\esp_idf_version.h'
    ERROR: IDF version cannot be determined
    --------------------------
    Command exited with code 1

What is wrong…? it appears the command is not going through the ‘/v5.1’ folder in the IDF toolchain when passing an argument to python…

Thnaks for any support…

Regards

Alex

• This topic was modified 6 months ago by support. Reason: formatting
    AlexRed
    Participant

Hi,

I found the problem… The installation of VisualGDB did not updated an already existing ‘IDF_PATH’ environment variable to properly point to the V5.1 sub folder…

Regards

Alex

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

VisualGDB does not update the system-level variables in order to avoid interfering with other tools. Instead, it sets them for just the process it’s launching to configure and build the project.

You can actually dump the configuration and build command lines to batch files, that show all the environment set by VisualGDB, and can be executed manually in order to simplify troubleshooting things. See this page for details.

If changing the variable globally fixed the project, it could have been hardcoded somewhere else (e.g. by editing the Python scripts) and the value set by VisualGDB was conflicting with it. If in doubt, we always suggest doing a clean toolchain installation, using a clean Python environment and a clean ESP-IDF checkouts. We test them before releasing our toolchains, so they should work just fine out-of-the-box.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.