VisualGDB crashing VS2022 on one PC.

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB VisualGDB crashing VS2022 on one PC.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    drjonem
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve recently been having a problem with VisualGDB causing VS2022 to crash on one PC:

• Start VS
    • Open a VisualGDB prject that has been used before.
    • Project opens in last used layout but VS is unresponsive and silently shuts down after a couple of seconds.

If I delete the .visualgdb and .vs folders and try again, VS opens the project fine and allows me to work. However, the next time VS is started with this project, the same thing hapens again.

I can create a new VisualGDB project and that functions the same – works fine until I close VS and reopen when it will crash unless I delete .vs and .visualgdb first.

This occurs with a mix of STM32, NXP MCUXpresso and Linux VisualGDB projects.

Non-visualGDB solutions continue to work without problems.

This is only occuring on one PC; my other build PC continues to work without issues with the same projects. Both PCs have latest VS2022 instaled and same VisualGDB packages. I have tried updating to VisualGDB v6.0 beta on the problematic machine but it has not improved the situation.

VS does not generate any crash reports but just reports VisualGDB as the cause for the previous session ending unexpectedly.

Please advise how to debug.

Thanks,

Jon.

support
    Keymaster

Hi

No problem, we will try to help you. First of all, please try updating to VisualGDB 6.0 Beta 1. If the problem persists, please try obtaining a stack trace of the crash as shown here: https://visualgdb.com/support/callstack

drjonem
    Participant

Hi,

Sorry for the delay responding, holidays got in the way!

I am using 6.0 Beta 1.

I have obtained a stack trace, (see below). Also, when having the debugger attached, it reported this exception:

System.AccessViolationException: ‘Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.’

Stack trace:

[Managed to Native Transition]
    > Microsoft.VisualStudio.Package.LanguageService.15.0.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Package.LanguageService.RefreshUI() Line 924 C#
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Package.LanguageService.15.0.dll!Microsoft.VisualStudio.Package.LanguageService.OnParseComplete(Microsoft.VisualStudio.Package.ParseRequest req) Line 919 C#
    VisualGDBPackage2022.dll!a43.l2(Microsoft.VisualStudio.Package.ParseRequest a) Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate callback, object args, int numArgs) Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(object source, System.Delegate callback, object args, int numArgs, System.Delegate catchHandler) Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl() Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(object obj) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state, bool preserveSyncCtx) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state, bool preserveSyncCtx) Unknown
    mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state) Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state) Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke() Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue() Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(System.IntPtr hwnd, int msg, System.IntPtr wParam, System.IntPtr lParam, ref bool handled) Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(System.IntPtr hwnd, int msg, System.IntPtr wParam, System.IntPtr lParam, ref bool handled) Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(object o) Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate callback, object args, int numArgs) Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(object source, System.Delegate callback, object args, int numArgs, System.Delegate catchHandler) Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority priority, System.TimeSpan timeout, System.Delegate method, object args, int numArgs) Unknown
    WindowsBase.dll!MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(System.IntPtr hwnd, int msg, System.IntPtr wParam, System.IntPtr lParam) Unknown
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by support. Reason: formatting
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks for the stack trace. The crash actually happens inside the Visual Studio’s own language service assembly that implements helper functions for IntelliSense back-ends. It is hard to say what exactly triggers it, but AccessViolationException typically indicates corrupt DLLs somewhere.

Doing a fresh complete reinstall of VS should normally fix it.

drjonem
    Participant

Thanks, will give it a go.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.