visualGDB and externel MakeFile

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB visualGDB and externel MakeFile

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sch_vitaliy
    Participant

Hello.
    I installed visualGDB for developing existing project on linux mashin. I have makefile that compile all project and create .o, .so and .out files. I try to create new visualGDB project on windows mashin, connect by ssh and visualGDB create the same files on my linux mashin. how i can attach the old project? sory for my English)

support
    Keymaster

In order for Visual Studio to edit your project files, the files need to be accessible from the Windows machine. You can either create a local copy and re-upload modified files each time, or share your project directory on Linux with Samba and mount it on Windows so that Visual Studio accesses them directly.

Both options are available via the VisualGDB Project Wizard:
    1. On the first page select “Import a project built with command-line tools”
    2. On the third page select “The sources are already on “
    3. On the fourth page select how do you want to access the sources.

gojimmypi
    Participant

Apparently VisualGDB has changed in the last 4 years since the original post… 😉

I first tried a manual import (it did not go well) before discovering there’s a Wizard.

I am trying to import this STM32F100C8 project:  https://github.com/kanflo/opendps however steps listed above are a bit different now. I use “Import preserving directory structure” after selecting the directory containing the source. The next screen is selecting the debugger (I am using ST-LinkV2)… and no other options.

The project is imported apparently successfully, however in the libopencm3 there are multiple files by the same name and different directories – which are selected at compile-time by defining the target processor. But VisualGDB gives a bunch of errors like this one:

Warning  libopencm3/lib/dispatch/vector_nvic.c, libopencm3/lib/efm32/g/vector_nvic.c, libopencm3/lib/efm32/gg/vector_nvic.c, libopencm3/lib/efm32/lg/vector_nvic.c, libopencm3/lib/efm32/tg/vector_nvic.c, libopencm3/lib/lm3s/vector_nvic.c, libopencm3/lib/lpc13xx/vector_nvic.c, libopencm3/lib/lpc17xx/vector_nvic.c, libopencm3/lib/lpc43xx/m0/vector_nvic.c, libopencm3/lib/lpc43xx/m4/vector_nvic.c, libopencm3/lib/sam/3a/vector_nvic.c, libopencm3/lib/sam/3n/vector_nvic.c, libopencm3/lib/sam/3s/vector_nvic.c, libopencm3/lib/sam/3u/vector_nvic.c, libopencm3/lib/sam/3x/vector_nvic.c, libopencm3/lib/sam/d/vector_nvic.c, libopencm3/lib/stm32/f0/vector_nvic.c, libopencm3/lib/stm32/f1/vector_nvic.c, libopencm3/lib/stm32/f2/vector_nvic.c, libopencm3/lib/stm32/f3/vector_nvic.c, libopencm3/lib/stm32/f4/vector_nvic.c, libopencm3/lib/stm32/f7/vector_nvic.c, libopencm3/lib/stm32/l0/vector_nvic.c, libopencm3/lib/stm32/l1/vector_nvic.c, libopencm3/lib/stm32/l4/vector_nvic.c and libopencm3/lib/vf6xx/vector_nvic.c share the same object file name (VisualGDB/Debug/vector_nvic.o). This will result in link-time errors. Please rename the files or change the object file names for them. opendps-import C:\Program Files (x86)\Sysprogs\VisualGDB\MSBuild\Targets\gcc.targets 82

as well as a few of these errors:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Warning   ISO C99 requires whitespace after the macro name opendps-import c:\workspace\opendps-import\opendps-import\<command-line> 1
    Error   stm32f1xx_hal_conf.h: No such file or directory opendps-import C:\Users\gojimmypi\AppData\Local\VisualGDB\EmbeddedBSPs\arm-eabi\com.sysprogs.arm.stm32\STM32F1xxxx\STM32F1xx_HAL_Driver\Inc\stm32f1xx_hal.h 48

Should this project import work? Perhaps I am not doing this correctly? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 🙂

Thanks in advance…

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

It looks like the project you are trying to import contains several versions of vector_nvic.c meant for different targets, so importing all of them won’t work.

For projects with complex build scripts we recommend selecting “Specify a build command line manually” in the VisualGDB Project Wizard. This will tell VisualGDB to run the build script that came with the project, so it will follow all the complex rules defined there.

Another alternative would be to study the build scripts of the project and only import the files that are supposed to build on your target (you would also need to manually specify all the preprocessor macros that the project’s build system specifies). This approach requires more initial effort, but results in better integration between build, IntelliSense and debugger.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.