VisualGDB 5.3 STM update issues

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB VisualGDB 5.3 STM update issues

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  support 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #12563

    parsec67
    Participant

    I had some issues when upgrading from 5.2 to 5.3 and thought I should share this.

    After VGDB update was completed and project converted to 5.3 I was unable to build or clean my project, got the error Could not find a BSP with ID = com.visualgdb.arm-eabi and version = 4. Please use VisualGDB Package Manager to install it. This with BSP 4.3 already installed.

    Also in VGDB Project properties, selecting Code Analyzers would bring up an error dialog about Clang IntelliSense not being enabled and code analyzers settings were unavailable. Clang IntelliSense was in fact enabled.

    There were no warnings or anything indicating a problem shown in MSBuild settings or anywhere else that I noticed.

    Reinstalling the ST BSP did not work. In the end the solution was to select “Rebuild MSBuild and IntelliSsense files for toolchain” under MSBuild settings.

    After this, when opening successive non-converted projects and trying to build them the error shown is instead: No toolchain found. Please configure the toolchain via VisualGDB Project Properties. Under MSBuild settings a warning icon will also indicate a problem with Toolchain ID setting. Clicking this fixes the problem and building works as expected afterwards.

    The latter message is okay as it points to the actual problem. The initial error message, however, looks erroneous/misleading and had me wondering for quite some time about what was going on.

    #12569

    support
    Keymaster

    Hi,

    Strange, com.visualgdbm.arm-eabi is a toolchain ID, not BSP ID. Could you have accidentally edited the project files manually and confused some settings? Either way, does creating new projects with the toolchain/BSP work?

    If yes, could you please compare the ToolchainID tags in the working vs. non-working projects (in .vgdbsettings files as described here)?

    #12570

    parsec67
    Participant

    Hi,

    I did not edit anything manually, just closed VS2017, updated to 5.3 and then reopened the project. Only the first project that I opened failed in this strange way, the others are reporting “No toolchain found” but will build after applying the fix. Creating new projects = no issues.

    My old .vgdbsettings have no ToolchainID element while converted projects look like this:

     

    Old .vcxproj:

     

    Converted .vcxproj:

     

    #12577

    support
    Keymaster

    Hi,

    Thanks, the toolchain references look correct. Could you please try attaching the screenshot of the error along with the %LOCALAPPDATA%\VisualGDB\FindToolchain.props file? This should show what exactly is VisualGDB looking for and what toolchains are installed.

    #12580

    parsec67
    Participant

    Hi, attached.

    EDIT: Couldn’t attach the .props file so here it is in its entirety:

    • This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by  parsec67.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #12598

    support
    Keymaster

    Hi,

    OK, this looks like a different error and should be very easy to fix. Please click the ‘repair’ link at the bottom of the MSBuild Settings page shown on your screenshot and VisualGDB will repair everything automatically.

    With code analysis, the Clang engine could be disabled globally or may have troubles attaching to the project. Please check the View->Clang IntelliSense Diagnostics Console for initialization-related messages (e.g. close the solution, clear the console log and re-open it). If you are not sure, simply post the log here and we will help you understand what is going on.

    #12601

    parsec67
    Participant

    Hi,

    I am unable to reproduce the initial problem I described, this only happened once with the first project I loaded after upgrading to 5.3.  I even tried with an identical backup of that project and it, as well as every other 5.2 project that I tried, were all easily fixed by clicking repair.

    Note the code analysis error is also gone after repairing.

    The difference between loading the first and any successive project was a message dialog that was shown when loading the first project. It said something along the lines of “this project needs to be converted to 5.3. If you convert you will not be able to open this project with 5.2”. I have not seen this dialog since.

    As things seems to work now it might not be worth pursuing this further. If I encounter the problem again I will revisit this post.

    #12613

    support
    Keymaster

    Hi,

    No problem. Let us know if you run into any issues again and we will be happy to help.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.