VisualDDK 1.5: No menu entries (VS 2005)

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualDDK/VirtualKD discussion VisualDDK 1.5: No menu entries (VS 2005)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

Hello.

I am new to Windows Driver development and I wanted to integrate de Windows Driver development kit into Visual Studio 2005.
    Installation of VisualDDK worked fine, and the Driver-Wizard works too, but the menu entries to configure and start driver debugging are not visible.

This are extracts from the Visual Studio logfile:

Error
    Microsoft Visual Studio
    Calling OnConnection for Addin: DDKDebugLauncher.Connect

Could not load file or assembly 'DDKDebugLauncher.resources, Version=1.5.3759.17837, Culture=de, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

and

Error
    Microsoft Visual Studio
    Calling OnConnection for Addin: DDKDebugConsole.Connect

80070057 - E_INVALIDARG
    Value does not fall within the expected range.

I just can’t find where the problem lies.
    Seems like Visual Studio cannot find the DDKDebug…resource.dll files.

My System is running on english Win XP 64bit Edition SP2 with german Visual Studio 2005.

Any ideas who to get it set up correctly?

Thanks in advance.

FP

Anonymous
    Participant

No one with the same Problem?
    No one with a solution?

support
    Keymaster

I assume, the problem is related to your German version of Visual Studio.
    I would recommend downloading VisualDDK sources (https://sourceforge.net/projects/visualddk/files/visualddk/1.5.2/VisualDDK-1.5.2-src.zip/download), opening the DDKDebugLauncher project, setting breakpoint on OnConnection() method in Connect.cs and stepping through.
    The LookupLocalizedName() method should automaticall fetch the German names for “Tools” and “Debug” menus. If this does not happen, or incorrect names are fetched, please tell me the correct ones, so that I can update them in the next release of VisualDDK.

Colin Finck
    Participant

Same here with a German version of Visual Studio 2008.

I’ve added DDKDebugLauncher for debugging and stepped through OnConnection() as you suggested, but LookupLocalizedName() gets the correct menu names. All AddNamedCommand2() and AddControl() calls are also executed without going into your catch block.
    On the other hand, the output log shows some “System.IO.FileLoadException” and “System.IO.FileNotFoundException” exceptions in mscorlib.dll during the AddNamedCommand2() calls. Each AddControl() calls lead to a “System.Resources.MissingManifestResourceException” in mscorlib.dll and a “System.ArgumentException” in Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommonIDE.dll.

I don’t know how to debug this any further, so suggestions or direct bugfixes are welcome 🙂

Best regards,

Colin Finck

support
    Keymaster

Please go to “debug->exceptions” window in Visual Studio and enable breaking when System.IO.FileLoadException/System.IO.FileNotFoundException are thrown. Then you will be able to see which file is missing. Note that you will probably need to get the mscorlib sources from Microsoft (if you are using Visual Studio 2008 SP1 or later Visual Studio will do it automatically).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.