VirtualKD VMInstall bug

Sysprogs forums Forums Other tools & products VirtualKD VMInstall bug

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

Hi there,

I have never been able to successfully install VirtualKD on the target using the installer targetvminstall.exe, I always seemed to get “Error – cannot access boot configuration data”.

Tired of this failing on multiple versions, I decided to build and debug it myself rather than submitting a query. I have solved the problem, here I detail the bug(?) and solution:

In bootedit.cpp on line 546 is the following test:

if (!m_OSEntries.empty() && !m_Default.GetValue().empty() && !m_Timeout.GetValue().empty())
    m_bValid = true;

This test was failing, leaving m_bValid false, causing the error. I narrowed it down to the return from m_Default.GetValue().empty(), and discovered this was erroneously returning that m_Default was empty.

In my boot.ini I noticed that the ‘default’ line begins with a forward slash (/default), I assume this is the case for everyone. I then noticed that line 536 had the test:

else if (!key.icompare(“default”))

and line 534 has:

if (!key.icompare(“timeout”))

Now the timeout line has no forward-slash, so without wanting to waste further time debugging the key.icompare function, I decided to try changing line 536 to:

else if (!key.icompare(“/default”))

This worked and fixed the installer for me, so I assume this function was failing because of the forward slash. I can’t fathom how it could have worked for other people (XP SP2 guest) but I can’t afford to spend any more time on this.

I hope this might be helpful for others.

Kind regards,

Kev

Anonymous
    Participant

I’ve just noticed that on other machines, the forward slash is missing. Not sure what’s going on here, but it seems to be present in only *some* systems… or only my system?!

Bit of a mystery, I assume therefore that I’m in the minority with the forward slash before ‘default’ but if any body else has this problem I guess you can just remove the forward slash!

Sorry for wasting your time if my forward slash was unique 😳

kev

support
    Keymaster

The forward slash seems to be your unique case (some third-party boot manager?). Anyway, I’ll add support for both “default” and “/default” in the future versions. Thanks for investigating the problem 😉

stifenhowk
    Participant

Hello kevoreilly.
    I read your entire problem if you are change your hardware then it will be install and first check your all drives with good anti-virus.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.