VirtualBox running Win7 won’t start

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualDDK/VirtualKD discussion VirtualBox running Win7 won’t start

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

Trying to use VirtualKD to talk to a VM session, although at startup the VM hangs at the “Starting Windows” screen 0% CPU, nothing more happens.

I’m using VB 3.2.8 on Vista, so I used the patched VBoxDD.dll instead, renamed VB’s VBoxDD.dll to VBoxDD0.dll, and ran vminstall.exe on the
    target machine. Anything I’ve missed ?

TIA
    /R

Anonymous
    Participant

I have the same problem too.
    At first it destroy my Vista installation and lost all my data. Unable to make it run. So I format my virtual HD and install again a new OS (wondows7)
    But the problem remains, it hangs as you described.
    so be careful mates when using this. The culprit is the driver kdvm.dll. I think it is badly written a work of amateur 😡

Anonymous
    Participant

Same problem here. This (crap) software just trashed my VM.

Anonymous
    Participant

@lolno wrote:

Same problem here. This (crap) software just trashed my VM.

New vboxdd.dll compatible with VirtualBox 4.0 is needed.

Anonymous
    Participant

Download vboxdd.dll compatible with VirtualBox 4.0 here: http://rapidshare.com/files/443581518/VBoxDD.dll

Only recompile against latest VirtualBox headers was needed.

Anonymous
    Participant

Hi there,

I’m running VirtualBox 4.0.4 on Win7 64bit as Host and Win7 64bit as guest. I compiled vboxdd.dll with latest trunk from virtualbox and installed it on the host. At the guest I installed kdvm.dll by using vminstall.exe.

My problem is that the debuger is not started automaticaly nor is it getting any connection via the pipe nor output. Any suggestions how i can track that probelm?

Thomas

Anonymous
    Participant

Can anyone upload the recompiled VBoxDD.dll for VBox4, the rapidshare link above seems to be no longer valid.

Thanks,
    Ron

Anonymous
    Participant

Pleeeeeease share VBoxDD.dll for VirtualBox 4.0.4!

BTW. VitualBox 4.0.4 includes a file VBoxDbg.dll that looks very similar to VisualDDK VBoxDD.dll.

support
    Keymaster

The latest version (2.5.2) already supports it.

Anonymous
    Participant

@bazis wrote:

The latest version (2.5.2) already supports it.

Seems still not tow work under Windows 7. Installed 2.5.2 on the guest using vminstall, replaced and renamed vboxdd.dll, started vmmon.exe.

Starting the guest, either w7 32bit or 64 bit, selecting the Virtual KD start entry. Under 32 bit windows now just stays with “Starting Windows” or in german “Windows wird gestartet”. In vmmon I can see the pipe and can start the debugger manually, it just stays with “Opened \.pipekd_Win7_Professional_32Bit” Waiting to reconnect…

Nothing more happens. Doing the same with a w7 64 bit guest and selecting the virtual kd start option just starts windows normaly and nothing more happens.

Under XP SP3 everything works fine. I have tripple checked that everything is setup correctly. Tried 3 different guest w7 home, w7 prof 32 and 64 bit.

Any suggestions ?

Regards,
    Ronald

support
    Keymaster

OK, try it in the following sequence:
    1. Start your VM. Do not start Windows
    2. Start virtual machine monitor. Wait until the VM appears in the list and press “Start debugger”
    3. Wait until WinDbg loads and says “connecting to pipe…”
    4. Now start the VirtualKD version of Windows.
    5. If nothing happens, look at the “packets, resets, OS, debugger and poll rate” fields in VMMON and post the values here.

Anonymous
    Participant

@bazis wrote:

OK, try it in the following sequence:
    1. Start your VM. Do not start Windows
    2. Start virtual machine monitor. Wait until the VM appears in the list and press “Start debugger”
    3. Wait until WinDbg loads and says “connecting to pipe…”
    4. Now start the VirtualKD version of Windows.
    5. If nothing happens, look at the “packets, resets, OS, debugger and poll rate” fields in VMMON and post the values here.

Thanks for your reply.

Tried that again:

1. startet VM, did not start Windows, VM stays at boot screen
    2. started VMM
    3. started Windbg from VMM
    4. WinDbg shows:

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.12.0002.633 X86
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Opened \.pipekd_Win7_Professional_32Bit
    Waiting to reconnect…

5. started windows 7 by selecting boot entry with [Virtual KD]

nothing happens, WinDbg stays as is, VMM does not show any other values, windows stays with “Windows wird gestartet”.

Pollrate 0
    Packets 0
    Resets 0
    OS –
    Debug –

The pipe has a green dot and the Win7 setup is a fresh install with vminstall executed. VBOXDD is renamed/copied.

Host is XP SP3, guest is W7 32/64 with SP1. Tried VirtualBox v4.04 and v4.08, no difference.

The same setup works finr with an XP VM, also using VisualDKK, which is an awesome product btw. So the host and WinDbg part should be ok.

Thanks for any help or hints you can provide.

Regards,
    Ronald

support
    Keymaster

This is very strange. I have just tested VirtualBox 4.0.8 with Win7 x64 guest and found no problems.
    I assume something went wrong with installing the guest-side transport DLL. Can you try doing dynamic patching (described in http://virtualkd.sysprogs.org/ under “Manual Installation”)?

Anonymous
    Participant

I can try this. Can you give me an quickstart how to setup com debuggin with VBox ?

support
    Keymaster

Go to VM properties, add select Ports, set COM1 to point to a local pipe (\.pipecom_1), start WinDbg with parameters: “-k com:pipe,port=.\pipedebug”.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.