Version 3.5 released

Sysprogs forums Forums WinCDEmu Version 3.5 released

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    support
    Keymaster

WinCDEmu 3.5 has been released
    New features:
    – Allows creating ISO images from Explorer context menu
    – Allows disabling autorun for mounted images
    – Supports persistent images (can automatically re-mount images after restart)
    – Supports unattended uninstallation (“uninstall.exe /UNATTENDED”)
    Download link

jslegers
    Participant

Looks good.

Will there also be a new version of the portable edition ?

John

support
    Keymaster

Yes, but slightly later. Merging some features will take time.

jslegers
    Participant

Thanks for the reply.

Looking forward to it.

Leolo
    Participant

Please, pretty, please, consider adding support for WinPE in the portable edition!!

It would be really nice and useful for those who deploy windows from WinPE. I wish I could simply copy the official Microsoft ISOs downloaded from Technet, then boot the computer with WinPE, and finally mount the images with the portable edition of WinCDEmu.

But we need WinCDEmu to be compatible with WinPE before we can do that!

support
    Keymaster

Is there a publicly available WinPE ISO out there? I don’t mind adding the support, but I need some test environment for that.

Leolo
    Participant

Sure, here’s the official bootable ISO from Microsoft:

http://oem.microsoft.com/downloads/74939DF9-9D75-4C96-BC14-E06B2381486B/agreement/windows_7_opk/windows_7_opk_english.img

There’s no need to install anything if you don’t need to customize it. Just burn to a blank DVD, boot your computer from it and you’re ready to go.

It works very well under Virtual PC and Virtualbox also.

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
    Participant

cue/bin not support? i mount the cue file, but cannot read file in the image.

I’m using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

support
    Keymaster

Could you please copy-paste the CUE file contents here? CUE is a simple text file, you can open it with Notepad.

Anonymous
    Participant

movie.cue details:

FILE “movie.bin” BINARY
    TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
    TRACK 02 MODE2/2352
    INDEX 00 00:04:37
    INDEX 01 00:06:37

support
    Keymaster

Your CUE file represents a VideoCD disc (MODE2 statement). This is quite an old an rare format, so the current version of WinCDEmu does not support it.
    Adding support for VideoCD and Audio CDs is in the long-term development plan, but is not a priority goal, as such images are very rare nowdays. I would recommend converting the movie into a newer format (e.g. an XVID/MPEG4 file).

Leolo
    Participant

Ooops, I didn’t notice that you have to register to download the ISO 🙁

I’ve uploaded another bootable ISO (made with the official WAIK tool) here if you don’t want to register:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7GOW2BOS

Regards.

support
    Keymaster

Thank you for the WinPE image. I have downloaded it and tried on a VM.
    It seems that WinPE does not support dynamic Plug-n-Play device recognition (e.g. USB disks). WinCDEmu relies on Plug-n-Play manager to create the virtual drives dynamically and will not work unless the OS supports it.
    I would recommend using some third-party Windows LiveCD compilations with full Plug-n-Play support.

Leolo
    Participant

Mmmm, that would be quite strange.

Old versions of WinPE (1.x and older) only detected Plug and Play devices at startup, when the tool factory.exe executed at boot.

But new versions of WinPE (2.x and newer) can detect plug and play devices at any time. I have plugged USB pendrives many times into a running WinPE 3.1 host (in a physical real system) and it detected the pendrive correctly.

There is even a special WinPE command called “DRVLOAD.EXE” that can load device drivers on the fly from a .INF file. I’ve used it lots of times to get SCSI controllers working.

I think that the problem must be somewhere else. WinPE is a “bare-bones” version of Windows, and there are a lot of DLLs missing. Maybe your program needs one of those missing DLLs ??

Have you ever used ImDisk?
    http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/#ImDisk

That tool is capable of installing itself and running well under WinPE. And it’s able to do that without needing a reboot, and without having to prepare the WinPE ISO in any way!!

In fact, I have no choice but to use ImDisk right now, but I really like your WinCDEmu program a lot, and I would love to be able to use yours also!

Could you please reconsider this feature again?

jslegers
    Participant

Hello,

How is the progress going on the portable edition 3.5?

John

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.