Using a ISP Interface with VisualGDB

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Using a ISP Interface with VisualGDB

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chrissel
    Participant

Hey,

i have to make changes in an old avr project and the microprocessor doesn’t have JTAG, so i have to use ISP.

Is there a good and simple way to use visualgdb for flashing ?

As an interface, i have a old Olimex AVR-ISP500 and a newer AVRISP MKII.

Thanks,

Chris

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Olimex recommends using the open-source avrdude program with AVR-ISP500. VisualGDB currently doesn’t support it out-of-the-box, so you would need to install and configure it manually. If you can confirm that the command-line programming with avrdude works, we can help you configure your VisualGDB project to run it automatically.

It could be also worth a try checking if the AVaRICE tool shipped with our AVR toolchain can recognize AVRISP MKII. If yes, you would not need to install any extra tools.

Michal
    Participant

Hi,

I have the same problem. I’m using xmega microcontroller which isn’t supported in AVaRICE.

It is possible to debug using avrdude? If yes, could you help me configure my VisualGDB project?

Thanks,

Michal

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry, avrdude unfortunately doesn’t support debugging. Our best advice would be to try patching AVaRICE to add support for your device (it conveniently stores device descriptions in a single table in the source code), however we cannot guarantee that this would work.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.