Updating BeagleBone tutorials?

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Updating BeagleBone tutorials?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    mobiuslogic
    Participant

Hi There,

Is there any plan that some of the BeagleBone tutorials be updated to the more recent version of Visual GDB, specifically the “Creating a C++ Beaglebone app with Visual Studio” tutorial?  There was a little bumbling around necessary to get it working, but it ultimately was (kind of).

The biggest question though was once VisualGDB tells the BBB to compile the program, where on the BBB does the program actually end up?  I went to the directory specified, and even changed it to something new instead of the default /tmp/… directory, but was unable to find the compiled program.  I wrote a simple program immediately after and ended up having to command line compile it on the BBB anyways since I couldn’t find it despite it copying over the source .cpp file.

If you could provide some clarity on what I’m missing that would be appreciated.

Thanks!

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Currently we do not have plans for updating the Beaglebone tutorial as most of the steps shown in the current tutorial should still apply to the current version. That said, if you could let us know what exactly you found confusing/outdated, we should be able to update the tutorial to ensure it does not misdirect other readers.

Regarding the program location, by default, VisualGDB will upload all the sources to the specified location on the Beaglebone (the default path is /tmp/VisualGDB/…) and build it there. Normally the built executable would be located in the <uploaded source directory>/Debug or <uploaded source directory>/VisualGDB/Debug folder.

You can find out the exact path by starting a debug session and opening the GDB Session window in the All GDB Interaction mode. The first line should show the GDB command used to start debugging; this command should contain the full path to the built executable.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.