Unattended installation and uninstallation of WinCDEmu

Sysprogs forums Forums WinCDEmu Unattended installation and uninstallation of WinCDEmu

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

Hi,

I want to deploy WinCDEmu automatically with our software deployment system. I already found out by using strings and grep that the installer supports silent installations:

WinCDEmu-3.4-signed.exe /UNATTENDED

Unfortunately the uninstaller does not seem to support this; I’ve looked through the source and can’t find any parameter that would toggle a silent uninstallation. If you’d switch to one of the common open source setups like Inno Setup or NSIS this would all be much simpler 🙂

Anonymous
    Participant

The custom installer also fails with “Installation aborted” when being ran during windows logon 🙁

This make WinCDEmu essentially undeployable using tools like opsi (http://opsi.org).

support
    Keymaster

WinCDEmu installs custom drivers, so the user must be there to say “yes, I really want to install the driver without the WHQL signature from Microsoft”. There can be 2 solutions:
    1. If you’re installing WinCDEmu on your company’s computers using unattended mode, allow installing non-signed drivers (it’s different from binary signing) in the group policy.
    2. Pay Microsoft and get a WHQL signature for WinCDEmu binaries. However, this would cost…
    As for the unattended uninstall, I’ve added it to the feature list for the next version, but I cannot promise any release date soon.

Anonymous
    Participant

Because of this missing i have to use “Virtual Clone Drive” isted of WinCDEmu.

Anonymous
    Participant

You can do an unattended installation after importing the sysprog certificate. Just import the certificate in your installation script, before you start the unattended installer

See: migee.com/2010/09/24/solution-for-unattendedsilent-installs-and-would-you-like-to-install-this-device-software/

adv-t
    Participant

So far, it seems to be that the pre-installation of the Sysprogs certificate is the silver bullet to successfully completing an honest-to-goodness unattended installation.  The ONLY problem that I’ve found thus far, is that Windows XP Home does not ship with the certutil command out of the box, and as such, one must install the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Administration Pack (relevant Microsoft KB article).

The only thing I see as a problem, though, is that the Sysprogs certificate is out of date.  Looks like it expired on 24 July?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.