Unable to debug STM32 Unit Tests

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Unable to debug STM32 Unit Tests

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dabramson
    Participant

When I try to debug unit tests from the visual studio test explorer I get the following message in the test output window.

---------- Starting test run ----------
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x89710080): Unable to attach. The debugger is not properly installed. Cannot debug the requested type of code. Run setup to install or repair the debugger.
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsDebuggerLaunchAsync.LaunchDebugTargetsAsync(UInt32 debugTargetCount, VsDebugTargetInfo4[] debugTargetArray, IVsDebuggerLaunchCompletionCallback completionCallback)
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.ShellServices.DebuggerService.<>c__DisplayClass21_0.<<LaunchDebuggerAsync>b__0>d.MoveNext()
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestWindow.Extensibility.ILoggerExtensions.<CallWithCatchAsync>d__11`1.MoveNext()
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Telemetry.WindowsErrorReporting.WatsonReport.GetClrWatsonExceptionInfo(Exception exceptionObject)
    Running tests from C:\Clients\PH\Midas\MCB\TestMidasMCBLogicLib\VisualGDB\VisualGDBCache\TestMidasMCBLogicLib-Debug\TestMidasMCBLogicLib.vgdbtestcontainer...
    Test container loaded (lookup: 4 msec, fetch: 1 msec, symbol list: 48 msec)

========== Test run finished: 1 Tests run in 11.6 sec (1 Passed, 0 Failed, 0 Skipped) ==========

The tests still run to completion, but no breakpoints are hit.

Debugging a normal project still works. So I’m not sure what “The debugger is not properly installed” is supposed to mean.

I’m running visual studio 2019 16.7.5, but I also was having the issue with an older version (unfortunately I forget the version).

The Visual GDB is 5.4R12 (build 3309).

ST-link/v2 debugger

OpenOCD VGDB Package 20200310-0.10.0

Please help!

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Please try updating to the latest VisualGDB 5.5 RC1.

dabramson
    Participant

Hi,

I updated visual gdb as suggested and I can now debug unit tests again.

That said, the first time I went to debug with the new VGDB webroot detected vgagent.exe (running out of the Visual GDB Program Files) as a threat and blocked it. I had to tell webroot that it was ok to let it run. I’m not sure what vgagent does, but you probably don’t want it getting flagged by virus/malware scanning software.

Thanks,

Dave

support
    Keymaster

The vgagent.exe process is responsible for sending Ctrl-C and Ctrl-Break events to the gdb debugger (you can view the description in File Properties). Unfortunately, this often triggers false positives with low-quality antivirus software.

If your antivirus reports vgagent as a potential threat, please consider submitting a false positive report to your antivirus vendor.

dabramson
    Participant

As it turns out, our IT contacted me to tell me they were going to whitelist it for me. So no problem here.

Thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.