Transferring multiple binaries from build to debug machine?

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Transferring multiple binaries from build to debug machine?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BitFlipper
    Participant

I can successfully build my Linux project on the build machine, but I can’t figure out how to set it up to copy multiple output files to the debug machine.

I set the “Main binary:” to build/obj-x64/lib64/*” <- Used the Browse button to set this to the correct folder …and “Deploy main executable to:” to “/usr/lib/myproject/lib64/*” <- Also used the Browse button to set this to the correct location on the debug machine But it is not copying the files. How should I set this up properly?

ket
    Participant

The main binary and the main deployable executable need to be set to one file, not several files. This executable is given to gdb for debugging and gdb expects one file. The rest of the files this binary depends on should be moved to the deployment machine separately.
    Consider converting the project from Linux to Custom, custom projects allow executing arbitrary sequences of commands for building and debugging. We have a tutorial at http://visualgdb.com/tutorials/linux/convert/ where we convert a project to custom to move a generated output file from the deployment machine to the windows development file, in your case you need to add the copying of the deployment binaries to the ‘actions before launching GDB’.
    The conversion from Linux to Custom is made to convert the build and debug commands so that in the converted project building and debugging will work as before. If you have made several changes to your Linux project, it may be a good idea to make a backup copy of the vgdbsettings file before converting.

BitFlipper
    Participant

@ket wrote:

The main binary and the main deployable executable need to be set to one file, not several files. This executable is given to gdb for debugging and gdb expects one file. The rest of the files this binary depends on should be moved to the deployment machine separately.

OK makes sense. However in my case the binary that gdb needs to execute is not any of the binaries being built in my project. So I guess I can just pick any one of the many binaries and it should at least copy them all.

@ket wrote:

Consider converting the project from Linux to Custom, custom projects allow executing arbitrary sequences of commands for building and debugging. We have a tutorial at http://visualgdb.com/tutorials/linux/convert/ where we convert a project to custom to move a generated output file from the deployment machine to the windows development file, in your case you need to add the copying of the deployment binaries to the ‘actions before launching GDB’.

Yes I converted it to a custom project now. It seems I have much more control so now. I do run into a problem which seems to be related to permissions when copying the files to the remote system. I get the error “LIBSSH2_ERROR_SCP_PROTOCOL”. I’m trying to figure out what to change in order to have the files transferred successfully.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.