The Platform for project is invalid.

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB The Platform for project is invalid.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    curtis.hendrix
    Participant

I’ve got a problem on a build agent where I cannot get VisualGDB based projects to build. I can build them locally on my machine without issue.  We’re using TeamCity with a service account on the build agent to run the builds.

Software:

Visual Studio Pro 2017

VisualGDB 5.5R4 (Build 3920)

GCC Toolchain 9.3.1-R2

This is the error I get.

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.Cpp.InvalidPlatform.Targets(22,7): error MSB8007: The Platform for project '<Project Name>.vcxproj' is invalid. Platform='VisualGDB'. You may be seeing this message because you are trying to build a project without a solution file, and have specified a non-default Platform that doesn't exist for this project. [d:\BuildAgent\work\9a59ea2524c20eb7\<Project Folder>\<Project Name>.vcxproj]

I’ve tried reinstalling Visual Studio, VisualGDB, and the GCC toolchains under the build agent service account, but nothing seems to work.  C# projects build fine on the build agent, along with Microchip (MPLab-X) projects.

curtis.hendrix
    Participant

I also tried creating a new VisualGDB project in Visual Studio on the build server and got this error:

VisualGDB version: 5.5.104.3920
    ------------------ System.InvalidOperationException ------------------
    System.InvalidOperationException: Platform 'VisualGDB' referenced in the project file 'EmbeddedProject2' cannot be found.
    at Microsoft.Verify.FailOperation(String message, Object[] args)
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project.VisualC.VCProjectEngine.VCProjectShim.<AddPlatformNoEventsAsync>d__343.MoveNext()
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project.VisualC.VCProjectEngine.VCProjectShim.<>c__DisplayClass63_0.<<AddPlatform>b__0>d.MoveNext()
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project.VisualC.VCProjectEngine.ApartmentMarshaler.<>c__DisplayClass7_0.<<Invoke>b__0>d.MoveNext()
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.JoinableTask.CompleteOnCurrentThread()
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project.VisualC.VCProjectEngine.ApartmentMarshaler.Invoke(Func`1 method)
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project.VisualC.VCProjectEngine.VCProjectShim.AddPlatform(String platformName)
    at mr.AddNewPlatformAndEnsureConfigurations(String b, String[] a)
    at s33.r(e13 c, IProjectEditContext f, e b, dx1 a, h g, Boolean e, y[] d)
    at ti2.b(EmbeddedWizardState a, IProjectEditContext e, zf2 b, e13 c, String d, dx1 f)
    at ti2.DoRunWizardOrThrowException(dx1 a, String b, String c)
    at n23`1.Execute(Object b, Int32 c, Object[]& e, Object[]& d, wizardResult& a)
    trace=[Microsoft.Verify.FailOperation:12, Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project.VisualC.VCProjectEngine.VCProjectShim+<AddPlatformNoEventsAsync>d__343.MoveNext:174, System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess:39, System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification:40, Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project.VisualC.VCProjectEngine.VCProjectShim+<>c__DisplayClass63_0+<<AddPlatform>b__0>d.MoveNext:187, System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess:39, System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification:40, Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project.VisualC.VCProjectEngine.ApartmentMarshaler+<>c__DisplayClass7_0+<<Invoke>b__0>d.MoveNext:221, System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess:39, System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification:40, Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.JoinableTask.CompleteOnCurrentThread:556, Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project.VisualC.VCProjectEngine.ApartmentMarshaler.Invoke:37, Microsoft.VisualStudio.Project.VisualC.VCProjectEngine.VCProjectShim.AddPlatform:32, mr.AddNewPlatformAndEnsureConfigurations:0, s33.r:153, ti2.b:1102, ti2.DoRunWizardOrThrowException:2172, n23`1.Execute:210]

curtis.hendrix
    Participant

A little more information:

It would appear I cannot register VisualGDB under the service account used to run the builds.  I opened a command prompt as the service account, went to %VISUALGDB_DIR%, and executed “visualgdb /about”.  I got the “About VisualGDB” window, entered the license key, clicked “OK”.  But when I ran “visualgdb /about” from the command line again, it reverted to “Unknown” under “This copy of VisualGDB has been licensed to:”

curtis.hendrix
    Participant

No idea why this worked, but it worked.

I deleted the “VCTargetsPath” Environment Variable from the build server and now everything is working correctly again.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Good to know it works. Overriding environment variables used by VS could indeed lead to strange behavior, so restoring the default values is always a good idea.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.