syncing every file?

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB syncing every file?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    thedixon
    Participant

I’ve setup a project with “copy files to remote machine” type of sync. It successfully downloaded every source file, but then on the very first build attempt decided to upload every single one  back. One suspicious place is – linux TZ is UTC, and my windows one is CDT, but I’d expect wingdb to deal with timezones properly. Any ideas?

Thanks

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

WinGDB is a product that comes from a different vendor, so please contact them for support. If you mean VisualGDB instead, please try enabling the verbose mode via Tools->Options->VisualGDB and check your build output for messages explaining why the files are retransferred.

thedixon
    Participant

I did mean VisualGDB. Here’s the reason for the transfer from the verbose output:

1> C:\Users\dnikitin\riemann\tte\gcc_Debug.h was previously not transferred and will be transferred now

This is for every file. Seems rather strange, when I just created a project, and VisualGDB downloaded sources itself, and then decided to upload it. On top of being strange, it messed up git repo on a linux box, where I created a project from – every file had a timestamp updated, so git thought it was a giant change. I don’t think it’s quite correct behavior here.

On a subsequent builds it does behave properly though.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks for clarifying this. This is a known issue that was not addressed as it only occurs once after the initial import. It does look like a major disturbance with git, so we will fix this in the early preview builds of VisualGDB 5.3 (available in the next 1-2 months).

thedixon
    Participant

There’s another problem with importing that I found. For some legacy reasons our git repo has symlinks in it. For example

project/src

project/project -> project/src

Importing projects like that from linux box would fail, until I would remove the symlink and re-import. Perhaps an option to be added not to follow symlinks.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Normally VisualGDB should recognize the symlink and convert it to a corresponding directory symlink on the Windows side. If this does not happen, could you share the error message you are getting?

thedixon
    Participant

I wasn’t getting any error messages, visualgdb would download files, and then would just hang in the “creating the project” phase, with a spinning cursor, until I kill visual studio. removing the symlink on linux and re-adding the project worked fine. I had multiple projects with similar symlinks inside, and the behavior was consistent everywhere. If there’re some log files or something that I can produce for you – I can do it.

ps. One thing that comes to mind is I’m not running with administrator rights on windows as per company policy. Proper symlink creation on win 7 require admin rights. Could it be related?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This could be indeed related.

We are actually planning to improve the large directory downloading in VisualGDB 5.3 and will reinvestigate this when adding the new feature. As a temporary workaround, please either try running VS as administrator, or temporarily remove the symlink during synchronization.

support
    Keymaster

OK, we have fixed the issue with uploading imported project contents on the first build in the final release of VisualGDB 5.3.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.