Sudden dramatic inability to debug

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Sudden dramatic inability to debug

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sherlock
    Participant

A few moments ago I was just starting debug an app on a Nucelo board when the attempt froze and Visual Studio 2019 died, then restarted.

After several attempts to resolve this I disconnected the board and connected a different type then loaded some existing test solution and attempted to debug, that froze and VS 2019 simply died, vanished.

I then tried a third different type of board and get the same symptoms.

I rebooted my computer and retried all this with same results.

Something seems to have permanently changed and I have no idea what, the problems seems to be when establishing communication during the beginning of debug, a few times VS did not crash and I got a dialog mentioning that GDB had problems (I failed to keep a note!).

Here are version details just FYI:

VS 2019: 16.4.4

Visual GDB: 5.4R12 (build 3309) (Licensed version, not a trial)

Windows 10: 10.0.18362.657

VS left details in the event log, these are shown below:

Application: devenv.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException
    at System.Windows.Forms.SplitContainer.set_SplitterDistance(Int32)
    at yg.h1()
    at yg.y2(System.Object, System.EventArgs)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnSelectionChanged(System.EventArgs)
    at ie.OnSelectionChanged(System.EventArgs)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.FlushSelectionChanged()
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.ClearSelection(Int32, Int32, Boolean)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.SetAndSelectCurrentCellAddress(Int32, Int32, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.MakeFirstDisplayedCellCurrentCell(Boolean)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnRowCollectionChanged_PostNotification(Boolean, Boolean, System.ComponentModel.CollectionChangeAction, System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewRow, Int32)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewRowCollection.OnCollectionChanged_PostNotification(System.ComponentModel.CollectionChangeAction, Int32, Int32, System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewRow, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, System.Drawing.Point)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewRowCollection.OnCollectionChanged(System.ComponentModel.CollectionChangeEventArgs, Int32, Int32)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewRowCollection.AddCopiesPrivate(System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewRow, System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewElementStates, Int32)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewRowCollection.Add(Int32)
    at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.set_RowCount(Int32)
    at ie.o()
    at ie.n_2(m7)
    at rk+q.u(Int32, Int32, rk[])
    at yg.z()
    at yg.t3()

Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
    at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Signature, Boolean)
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Object[])
    at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(System.Object[])
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(System.Object)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
    at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

I’d be grateful for any guidance on how to explore this and resolve it.

Thanks

PS: I did install STM32CubeMX yesterday and began to familiarize myself with this, is it possible this modified some driver or something that Visual GDB relies on?

I created and imported several simple projects from STM32CubeMX (as described here) and had no issues yesterday or this morning.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Sherlock.
    Sherlock
    Participant

If I try to start without debugging (from VS debug menu) I see a console window that soon vanishes, no app seems to load into the board and VS doesn’t crash, here’s what I captured from the console window:

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Sherlock
    Participant

I can’t see the “Edit” option here any more so I can’t add to my original post.

Anyway I just ran a repair of Visual GDB but this seems to have had no effect on this behavior.

Sherlock
    Participant

Interestingly that when I choose “Program and Start Without Debugging” this succeeds, I see the “The device has been programmed successfully” dialog and the board seems to reset and the code gets loaded (I can see expected activity on my DSO).

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

It looks like you have accidentally resized one of the tool windows below the minimum size. Please try updating to the latest VisualGDB 5.5 Preview 4. It contains a fix for this issue.

Sherlock
    Participant

OK installing now…

Sherlock
    Participant

Beautiful !

All good, thanks for a prompt and precise response, much appreciated.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.