Strange behaviour version 3.6

Sysprogs forums Forums WinCDEmu Strange behaviour version 3.6

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

Hello everyone,

today I installed version 3.6.
    Since I missed the abillity of version 3.5 to create iso-files, I made some little tests on my netbook (see below) without a real optical drive. Hence I mounted an iso of Parted Magic from (crippled link, because of restriction for anonymous-users) -> http://www.chip.de/downloads/Parted-Magic_32391033.html , right-clicked onto the virtual drive, choosed “Create ISO image” and after some seconds got an error “128 bad sectors found” => the created iso was 200KB smaller than the original one. Same (only different number of bad sectors) was true for an older version of Parted Magic, redobackup-livecd 0.96 and sidux-2009-04-moros-xfce-i386-200912310312.iso.
    But it worked flawlessly on ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386.iso, KNOPPIX_V6.2.1CD-2010-01-31-DE.iso and an image of X15-65740-Win-7-Home-Premium.iso

Another thing I found -> remaining time (for creating the ISO image) does not work. It simply shows 0:00:00 (some seconds before the process finishes it disappears).

PackardBell dot_SE 024 GE
    Windows 7 Starter 32-bit
    1 GB RAM

Best regards!

support
    Keymaster

This can be an issue of some emulators (in fact, old WinCDEmu versions as well). The ISO file does not contain the gap after the data track, however, the disc size reported by the drive should include it. If an emulator does not perform the transformation, you will see the issue.
    If you do it with normal “physical” drives, the ISO file will be determined correctly.

Anonymous
    Participant

Hello everyone,

This can be an issue of some emulators (in fact, old WinCDEmu versions as well).

Sorry, maybe I missed something… -> The used emulator actually *was* WinCDEmu 3.6
    Nonetheless, I do know that this is some *very* special case I tried to use it for 🙄

Best regards!

support
    Keymaster

Investigated. It looks like the ISO file you provided has some additional padding after the end ot the file system data.
    WinCDEmu does not analyze the filesystem and simply reports that the CD size is the ISO size + the “gap”. However, when you try to create the image, the Windows CDFS driver detects that you’re reading behind the end of FS and fails those reads.
    The original ISO file size is 176160768 bytes. If I create the image using WinCDEmu, mount the image, create another image and so on, the size becomes 175722496 bytes. However, if I mount the original ISO to a virtual VMWare drive and create an ISO, I still get a 175722496-byte image. I.e. 214 sectors at the end of the original ISO file (filled with zero bytes) are discarded by VMWare.

In simple words, the images created by WinCDEmu in your case are valid and you can ignore the error report. Also when you mount such images, they will be perfectly readable, as the FS driver will get the size from the FS headers.
    As the reported issue does not occur in any real use cases (mounting images/creating ISOs of real discs) and does not cause any data corruption, I dontt think it’s reasonable to add any additional FS parsers to WinCDEmu to address it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.