STM32H7 Dual core and Segger JFlash

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB STM32H7 Dual core and Segger JFlash

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Undici77
    Participant

Hello,

in order to speed-up debug sessions I’m evaluating to buy J-Link ULTRA+ but I can’t find tutorial about how to setup debug session on STM32H7 dual core with J-LINK.
    Does VisualGDB support (like STLINK) this family of CPU?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

VisualGDB fully supports Segger J-Link via the Segger GDB stub, however we have not specifically tested it with the multi-core STM32H7 devices.

Generally, we would advise simply using ST-Link as shown in this tutorial. It involves a special build of OpenOCD maintained by ST that has been specifically designed to work with the multi-core devices. If you would like to double-check whether J-Link supports this configuration, please contact Segger support. If they can confirm that the Segger GDB stub supports the device you are targeting, VisualGDB will work with it out-of-the-box.

Undici77
    Participant

Hi,

I come back to this topic after some experience with J-Link (BASE and ULTRA+) with Visual GDB and I would say that debug experience is better than warking with STLINK v3:

• No need to start 2 instance of Visual studio for 2 core and continuously download and restart 2 projects
    • No annoying stucking during debug
    • Faster

Obviously J-Link is expensive but time saved by not to restart every time 2 debug session, SO BUY IT!

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Undici77.
    • This reply was modified 3 years ago by Undici77.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

J-Link indeed typically works better than ST-Link, and it comes with its own fully tested and supported GDB stub that replaces the open-source OpenOCD. VisualGDB supports both OpenOCD and J-Link software via interchangeable debug plugins, so our users can pick the debug probe that works the best for their setup.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.