STM32F7 Instruction Set Choice

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB STM32F7 Instruction Set Choice

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jona
    Spectator

I am a little confused. I am trying to figure out if THUMB or ARM is faster in my project.

In STM32.props the instruction set it listed as

<InstructionSet>THUMB</InstructionSet>

But in the property pages for the project it is set to ARM(-marm)

How do I tell which one is actually being used?

support
    Keymaster

In VisualGDB 5.4R2 and earlier, the settings derived from the CPU definition override the settings in the project properties. We have reversed this behavior in the upcoming R3 (you will be able to override the CPU settings via the regular MSBuild pages), however it should not be critical in this case case the STM32 devices do not support the ARM (non-THUMB) instruction set.

jona
    Spectator

Still learning while I create this product.. did not know that about the ARM instruction set.

So that means that no matter what you have selected in the build settings it will always be thumb 1?

I guess that settles that! But I guess there is Thumb 1 and Thumb 2? Will that distinction be available in VGDB?

Thanks again!

support
    Keymaster

No problem. Please refer to the STM32 documentation for the description of the instruction sets supported by the STM32 devices and to the GCC documentation (and ARM Cortex core documentation) for differences between Thumb-1 and Thumb-2.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.