STM32F4 discovery printf to VS output window

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB STM32F4 discovery printf to VS output window

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ticica
    Participant

I am using OpenOCD with with VisualGDB on STM32F429-disco board. It works very well.
    The next thing I would like to have is some kind of logging capability (ideally to VS output window). Is this supported?

I am considering the following options:
    a. send printf to UART and have a serial to usb device attached to the appropriate pins (could be slow)
    b. send printf to the user usb port (would have to write more custom code than I would like too)
    c. use SWD somehow through openOCD and VisualGDB (is this supported?)

I would appreciate any ideas.

support
    Keymaster

Currently this scenario is not directly supported, although we plan to add it in one of the next releases.
    As a workaround you can use any third-party command-line tool that will display the data coming from a virtual COM port and set VisualGDB to show its output when your program is running. E.g. if your device is connected to a virtual COM port available as COM4, go to VisualGDB Project Properties, Custom Debug Steps page, select “Use the following command to start the console” and specify the following parameters:
    Command: cmd
    Arguments: /c type COM4

If your board does not include an external virtual COM port chip (e.g. FTD2xx), you will need to use the USB library on the STM32 device to implement one using the STM32 USB interface. Please refer to STM32 examples for a sample Virtual COM port project.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.