STM32 binary file for programming

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB STM32 binary file for programming

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    chris250
    Participant

Hi,

I have an Embedded VisualGDB project for a STM32F746 Disco board. It uses the following embedded frameworks: STM32 USB Device Lib, STM32 Cube HAL, Fixed size stack & heap, Fast Semihosting & embedded profiler.
    It is debugging well. I want to program the board to operate on power up. I have tried using the .bin file that is generated (under VisualGDB/Debug) but it does not seem to run properly on the device. So operation whilst debugging is fine.

How do I generate a file that can be used to program a device?

Thanks for your help!

chris250

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The .bin file generated by VisualGDB should be the correct one. Furthermore, once you start a debugging session, the firmware is actually programmed into the FLASH memory in order to be debugged.

Most likely your code is using semihosting-related functionality (e.g. calling printf()) that are intercepted under debugger and cause the program to wait for a debugger to attach otherwise. The easiest way to figure out what is going on is to use the Debug->Attach to Running Embedded Firmware command (requires VisualGDB 5.3+).

chris250
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for your help. It was exactly what you said – the semihosting stuff was expecting a debugger and so the code was waiting for it to attach.

Thanks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.