Static Stack Analysis

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Static Stack Analysis

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    init.first
    Participant

Hi all,

is there a tutorial or howto for Static Stack Analysis?

I opened the Embedded Memory Explorer and got the message “Function contains jumps to invalid addresses.” on all listed entries (functions).

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

We have just published a tutorial showing the stack analysis here: https://visualgdb.com/tutorials/arm/stack/static/

As a quick check, could you confirm that the “Disassembly” view in the memory explorer works correctly? If yes, we will add further diagnostic logging to the stack analyzer and should be able to pinpoint it.

thomasa
    Participant

Hi,

is there any solution to this issue available?

If i create a project with STM processors, the “Static Stack Analysis” works correct.
    On my Project with the LPC54628, using the LPCXpresso SDK 2.6, i see the same behaviour as above with the message “Function contains jumps to invalid addresses.”.

The “Disassembly” view in the memory explorer works correctly.

The toutorial mentions a possibility to adapt the script/tool, but how did I not realize.

Kind Regards

support
    Keymaster

No problem. First of all, please try right-clicking on the function entries that did not get analyzed correctly and select “View Analysis Log”. This should highlight the code paths triggering various warnings.

You can then customize the analyzer by cloning the following project: https://github.com/sysprogs/VisualGDBExtensibilityExamples/tree/master/PlatformSpecificStackAnalyzers/ARM. Simply build the ARMStackUsageAnalyzer.dll file and copy it into <VisualGDB Directory>\StackAnalyzers, replacing the version shipped with VisualGDB. You can then use another Visual Studio instance to step through ARM-specific stack analysis logic or to modify it to support project-specific cases.

The Disassembly view would show the results once you select a specific function on top of the view.

thomasa
    Participant

Hi,

the log views:

Running verbose stack analysis for EthernetPhyCheckState…
    ***Starting code path at 0x00020764 with stack depth = 0
    ###HasJumpsToUnreadableAddresses

I’ve download the project and found the line , the log view point to, but if i try to build it, there are a couple of errors, because the include “using VisualGDBExtensibility;” fails.

The Dissassembly works as expected.

support
    Keymaster

No problem. Please try right-clicking on the project node in Solution Explorer and select Add->Reference->Browse, then pick the full path to VisualGDBExtensibility.dll in the VisualGDB’s directory. This should resolve the build errors.

thomasa
    Participant

Hi,

i can debug the dll now, but that doesn’t really help me (and i don’t really know what happens).

There is the Line 129 in ARMStackUsageAnalyser.cs:

“foreach (var insn in _Host.TryReadInstructions(path.Address))”

where the return of the ‘TryReadInstructions’ with a valid function-address returns zero every time and produces the error message ‘HasJumpsToUnreadableAddresses’.

‘TryReadInstructions’ is somewhere outside the debug context and i can not reach it.

Do you have any further suggestions?

support
    Keymaster

Thanks, this partially explains what is going on. TryReadInstructions() is implemented inside VisualGDB. It uses the objdump tool to disassemble the instructions at the specified address.

Most likely, something in the objdump output is preventing VisualGDB from handling this correctly. Would you be able to share the ELF file with us via our support page so that we can try reproducing the issue (please also mention the exact address that is not loaded correctly and the function that triggers it)? If not, we can provide instructions on getting the necessary information from the dump file, although it might take a few extra iterations.

thomasa
    Participant

I found a clue why the static stack analysis is failing. In the project where I noticed it, the firmware does not start at address 0x0. The project has a bootloader that resides there.
    The firmware starts at address 0x10000 and the bootloader jumps to this address.
    I cannot provide the ELF-file, but I have provided a simple example project (where the analysis worked) with the other start address, and the analysis fails.

thomasa
    Participant

Ah, maximum filesize…here is the Elf-File only.

thomasa
    Participant

Ok, with file-ending now…

support
    Keymaster

Sorry, most likely the file was too large to be uploaded. Would you be able to upload it to a file sharing service (e.g. Dropbox) and share a link with us?

thomasa
    Participant
    support
    Keymaster

Thanks, we have reproduced the problem and fixed it in the following build: VisualGDB-5.5.5.3599.msi

Let us know if you encounter further issues and we will be happy to help.

thomasa
    Participant

The static stack analysis now works. Thank you for the support.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.