Some problems with the AT91sam7s64 Project.

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Some problems with the AT91sam7s64 Project.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    dldnjs1013
    Participant

Hello, I use Visual GDB and VS community 2017/2019.
    (Visualgdb 5.4r5 and 5.4r11 )

I’m having some problem using Visualgdb on an old board (AT91sam7s64)

I trying to solve this problem for a long time, but I cannot solve because I’m not good at Embedded programing.

I wanna solve some trouble with someone’s help.

My trouble is:
    1. MSBuild is not working. I created base project that Visual GDB provides. (LEBBlink, GettingStarted, HID Keyboard)
    But I failed to build project. it print some error message like “bad instruction blah blah~” .

This error occur in created MSBuild project and converted MSBuild project.

2. GNUBuild is not working too.
    error message is “command-line action failed”.
    it seem to error of Make.
    thus I modified Makefile like this

ifeq ($(AS),)
    AS := $(CC)
    ASFLAGS := $(CFLAGS) $(ASFLAGS)
    endif

->

#ifeq ($(AS),)
    AS := $(CC)
    ASFLAGS := $(CFLAGS) $(ASFLAGS)
    #endif

then I can build this project, but I don’t know this is a right solution.

3. I wanna watch “ARM Semihosting Console”
    I set my project to support semihosting
    (Properties -> Embedded project -> Implementations for ~~ )
    (or in create project)

but I cannot find window for “ARM Semihosting Console” when Debugging.

4. if I check Fast Semihosting in Embedded Frameworks, “command-line action failed” error is occured like my trouble2. it also seem to error of Make, but I don’t know what should I do.

Because I am not used to dealing with Embedded and Visualgdb, I have other problems, but first I want to solve the above 4 problem.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    dldnjs1013
    Participant

I solve #3 (Console is shown when I do debugging using JTAG -> OCD -> JTAG),

but cannot solve other problems yet.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry, the AT91SAM7 BSP is very old and may not properly work with the latest toolchains or the MSBuild subsystem.

The build problems with GNU Make are most likely caused by the incorrect “AS” environment variable inherited from the environment. Commenting out ifeq/endif as you mentioned above should successfully work around it.

Getting MSBuild to work with AT91SAM7 could be harder, as its linker script expects a specific order of the source files, that is not guaranteed with MSBuild. We would advise using MSBuild for newer device families and GNU Make for AT91SAM7S. You can solve the “invalid instruction” error by adding the #define __ASSEMBLY__ line to the beginning of the board_cstartup.S file, however the build may still fail due to the linker input ordering.

The fast semihosting was only tested with the THUMB instruction set used by the modern embedded ARM devices, while AT91SAM7 uses the ARM instruction set by default. You can try switching the instruction set to THUMB, however the background memory reads required by the advanced semihosting may not be supported by the older ARM7TDMI core used by the AT91SAM7 devices.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.