Remote Graphics

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Remote Graphics

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mustrum
    Participant

Hi,

I am trying to get set up to develop and debug graphics capable (GUI mostly) programs for an embedded Linux (RaspberyPi in this case) system. I have a trial version of VisualGDB installed.

I cannot seem to get the graphics output to appear in a window on the PC. The description of the SmarTTY application, that comes with VGDB indicates that this should be possible; that it should even be automatic. It does not seem to work out that way for some reason. When I try to run a graphics program on the RaspberyPi from a SmarTTY window, the graphic output continues to be sent to the RaspberryPi’s HDMI output. This also happens if I run the program by debugging it with VisualGDB. The program is actually running on the RaspberyPi in both of these cases. I can select the HDMI input to my monitor and see the expected output from the RaspberryPi’s display port. I can then return to viewing my computer’s output over the SVGA input, and in the case of the debugger, I can stop the running program and step through the code and set breakpoints and view and change variables and so forth, but the graphics output is not viewable. Keyboard input seems to be sent of the SSH link just fine, although I am less sure about the mouse.

I have tried all this connecting as a normal user and as the superuser.

I expect there is some small item I have overlooked, but I have no idea what it is. X11 forwarding appears to be enabled on the RaspberyPi . Perhaps there is something else I need to do? I am hoping that someone here can tell me what I have missed.

Thanks

Anonymous
    Participant

SmarTTY support remote GUI application (such as Gedit) through xming. but it seems VisualGDB should configure it through tools config, and it is NOT installed by default. 😯 (don’t know why)

I installed SmarTTY standalone( there’s another MSI package without limitation, before I use VisualGDB 😀 ), and that worked fine with Xming(which is default installed and been auto configured), hope this helps, or wait admin to answer 😉

Mustrum
    Participant

Hi lwwin,

Thanks for trying, but it didn’t seem to matter — the standalone download of SmarTTY behaved just the same.

You said that you installed SmarTTY standalone first, and then VisualGDB, and that worked fine with Xming. I assume that meant you could use VisualGDB on graphics output programs.

I am afraid that I am new enough at Linux and the X client/server operation that the problem may be something just a bit higher on the trouble shooting list than “did you turn on the computer?”, that isn’t written down anywhere because everybody knows that! So just to be painfully clear, what should I expect to see happen? This is the simplest mode it hasn’t worked in:

1. I run SmarTTY on my XP computer.

2. SmarTTy appears as a window, with the Linux command line prompt in it. It has already logged me in on the Linux side using SSH.

3. I can do anything I could do if I were connected to the Linux system directly, except any graphics. I can run commands, their output appears on the SmarTTy window just like I would expect. Anything command that puts the screen into graphics mode just looks as if it’s died. Nothing happens and the prompt doesn’t come back. Whatever program it launched is running though, and directing its output to the physical HDMI connector on the RaspberryPi board. I can see it by switching my monitor input, as I said.

I have insured that the path to the Xming executable is specified and correct.

Was there maybe something I had to do differently the first time I connected, when SmarTTY set up the public key authentication? I just had to enter the username and password, I don’t think there was much else on that screen. Could a bad path to Xming at that time keep causing an issue? Do I have to start the Xming server by itself first? Does Xming need some configuration that might not happen automatically. Its existence isn’t even referred to during the SmarTTY install that I remember.

I am really worried that I’m missing something as obvious as breathing here, is the point I’m trying to make. Nobody worry about insulting my intelligence. (Just to be clear, I did turn on both systems. 😉 )

ket
    Participant

Hi,

As long as in the VisualGDB Project Properties it is set that the remote X11 windows are shown on the Windows computer via XMing, the graphics forwarding should work.

Try the following:
    1. Start debugging
    2. Go to the SSH Console window and open a new shell.
    3. Type into the shell: echo $DISPLAY

If the reply is 0, then the forwarding is not in effect. You could also try to install XMing again, when VisualGDB prompts it, the problems could be due to its installation.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.