remote gdb emulation and debug?

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB remote gdb emulation and debug?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Johanan
    Participant

Hi,

customer is very far away with a bug I can’t invoke in the lab.

Customer has a st-link, and can connect it to the target with a PC, which does not have visual studio / VisualGDB installed.

I can login to customer PC.

So is there a way that I can debug that system with his st-link and visualGDB and VS running in my lab via some internet connection?

Thanks

Johanan

• This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Johanan.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Yes, you should be able to get it working by running OpenOCD on the customer’s machine and setting up TCP port forwarding so that you can connect to it from your lab.

You would need to find out the following parameters used in a regular debug session and replicate them manually with a 2-machine setup:

1. The OpenOCD command line. You can find it in the OpenOCD window in Visual Studio (or in the connection testing window when you press the “Test” button in the VisualGDB Project Properties).
    2. The GDB command line. Is is typically gdb –interpreter mi $(TargetPath).
    3. The startup gdb commands involved in a regular session (e.g. target remote host:port, load, etc). You can find them out by switching the GDB Session window to “All GDB Interaction” mode.

Once you find out those parameters and can successfully launch OpenOCD remotely, you can use the Debug Settings page of VisualGDB Project Properties to switch the debug method to the “Custom” mode. This will allow entering the gdb command line and startup commands manually, so you can connect to the remote OpenOCD instance.

We would also advise trying to manually launch OpenOCD locally and connect to it using the custom mode first. This should help decouple the manual setup problems from potential network problems.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.