Remote embedded project import

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Remote embedded project import

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sidprice
    Participant

I have cloned an open source project to investigate its use for a project of my own. The project is cloned onto a Linux VM, the ARM Embedded Tool-chain is installed and the project builds without errors.

Now, because I am very familiar with VS2015 and Windows I would like to create a VisualGDB project to build and debug this OSS project. Being relatively to VisualGDB I need some help, is there an article or tutorial to do assist me doing what I would like to do, I have VisualGDB Custom Edition:

1. Use VS2015 as my “interface” to the edit, build, deploy, debug steps
    2. Use the tool-chain on the Linux VM to build and debug the software
      1. I have an embedded device and I am using STLinkV2.1 probe for these tests

The project has source in several folders and there are several Makefiles used for the build, all controlled from a “master” Makefile.

Many thanks,

Sid

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry, we do not officially support building the embedded projects remotely. You should be able to import it in a custom mode and setup everything manually, but if you are not familiar with Linux internals, we strongly recommend copying the sources to the Windows side and importing them by following our regular import tutorial: http://visualgdb.com/tutorials/arm/import/

sidprice
    Participant

OK, I have imported the project into Windows but it needs some customization because the original project has some Python scripts that are used to build some header files dynamically from reference material. I assume I will need to add this processing step manually to the build system?

Does the import described in the article you linked parse the Makefiles or does it just parse the source file structure?

Sid

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Yes, as those custom steps are defined differently in different projects, VisualGDB cannot automatically import them. Hence the easiest way to add equivalents to them would be to add add either custom pre-build actions, or custom MSBuild targets.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.