reenable "step into newlib or other similar libs " source code

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB reenable "step into newlib or other similar libs " source code

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi, I’m using Visualgdb 5.5 preview 2 build 3410.
    I noticed that the possibility of executing steps in the newlib source code is no longer working but only the disassemby display. how can i re-enable this feature?
    thanks for any suggestion

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry, the latest ARM toolchain (gcc 9.2.0) is based on the official GNUARM toolchain and does not contain automatically discoverable source packages.

We are planning to address this in one of the next toolchain updates, however currently the workaround would be to either download the sources from the ARM site manually, or to switch back to gcc 7.x that includes the automatic source packages.

TechnoMage41
    Participant

Has this been addressed?

If so, how do I configure VisualGDB to step into newlib-nano source instead of disassembly?

If not, which files do I need to download from the Arm Developer website? I can’t find any reference to newlib-nano on the Arm Developer website.

I’ve found a version that Sysprogs referenced in a different post (https://sysprogs.com/w/forums/topic/gcc-newlib-nano-license/):

https://github.com/32bitmicro/newlib-nano-2

Is this the version included in the current VisualGDB toolchain, SysGCC\arm-eabi?

Once I have those, how do I install them and make the system aware of their existence?

Thanks!

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry, it is still not supported with the latest toolchains. We initially added this feature when the pre-built ARM toolchain was somewhat buggy, so we were patching it and rebuilding it on our side. Over time, ARM resolved these issues, so we switched to testing the binaries published by ARM, wrapping them with configuration files, and publishing them as ready-to-use packages.

In the recent years, ARM has changed the mechanism used for building their toolchain several times, resolving some issues and introducing others. As of April 2023, the prebuilt GNU ARM toolchain does not have official instructions for building a Windows toolchain. We were able to build a usable toolchain by slightly modifying their Linux building instructions, however it looks slightly different from the Windows binaries published by ARM, so looks like ARM is using some undocumented internal process for building their toolchain.

As the vast majority of frameworks and SDKs are tested with the pre-built ARM toolchain, we do not want to risk introducing incompatibilities with it, and will stick to shipping repackaged versions of the ARM toolchain binaries until ARM publishes their official Windows build pipeline.

If you absolutely want to step through the newlib sources, you may need to build it from scratch with the debugging symbols for newlib enabled. The exact steps vary between different ARM toolchain versions, so the best place to ask for them would be the ARM forum.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.