Real-time Watch Causing Program to not Run

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Real-time Watch Causing Program to not Run

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    smadeux
    Participant

I’m having some trouble testing out the Real-time Watch feature in VisualGDB. I checked the “Allow tracing function calls in Real-time Watch” box and I also have “Fast Semihosting and Embedded Profiler” checked under Embedded Frameworks. I believe I implemented the InitializeInstrumentingProfiler() function correctly as well. However, when I debug my program in my STM32F437VI board, nothing happens and it doesn’t trigger any of the breakpoints. The Real-time Watch window even tells me “Real-time watches will be available once your program calls the InitializeInstrumentingProfiler() function.” (see attached screenshot).

Is there something I’m missing or doing incorrectly? I’ve attached three screenshots. The first is what it looks like when I debug the program (note the Real-time Watch window in the bottom right) and the other two are of my VisualGDB settings.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Most likely, your program has a non-trivial structure, and injecting the instrumenting logic in it breaks something. You can troubleshoot it by configuring VisualGDB to stop directly at the entry point (VisualGDB Project Properties -> Embedded Debug Tweaking -> Step into new instance) and then stepping through the initialization code to see what is going on.

Another option would be to compare the <ProjectName>_instrumented.elf with the original ELF file produced by the project (e.g. using objdump) and double-check that the inserted instrumentation-related sections don’t overwrite anything.

You can see the log explaining the placement of the instrumentation sections by enabling View->Other Windows->VisualGDB Diagnostics Console before launching a debug session.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.